Author Topic: 2022 Squash  (Read 467 times)

William Schlegel

• Botanist, gardener, and science teacher.
    • View Profile
    • William's Instagram which is not set to public so message me if you want added
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
2022 Squash
« on: 2022-05-11, 08:43:25 PM »
I planted Cucurbita moschata and Cucurbita pepo squashes today.

For Cucurbita moschata I found my original packet of leftover Tetsukabuto F1 seeds so I planted them today with the other Moschata squashes Guatemalan Green Ayote, Autumn's Choice G3, Lofthouse, and the Grex from Mike that included some cool Thai squash though I let it cross with others as will all of these. Oh, I also planted a small amount of Zuchinni rampicante squash the long thin one. I think my main goals with this grex this year is currently to just retain the banded trait from Autumn's choice, the green flesh from Green Ayote, and get some Tetsukabuto seed pollinated definitively by Moschata squash. Hopefully there will be a lot of mixing.

Then for Cucurbita pepo I planted Zephyr, Goldini, Romanesco Costata, Lofthouse Crookneck, Lofthouse Zucchini, and the early Mandan pepo squash originally from Sandhill that I grew with Lofthouse Croockneck and Lofthouse Zucchini last year in the hopes they would cross. Note: my goal with this grex is sort of a Pepo version of what I imagine is being described in the book Buffalo Bird Woman's Garden, though that could also have been a Maxima squash. I think Carol's Goldini and its parent Romanesco Costata are appropriate as Carol tested the latter and bred the former for good, dried summer squash flavor inspired by the same book. The Mandan Pepo squash might be of three tribes of the upper Missouri origin, it is certainly early! Then Zephyr adds in the banded trait which might be what the book is talking about when it refers to a certain coloration that made good squash dolls. Lofthouse Crookneck has excellent flavor and Lofthous Zucchini has a good deal of diversity. So hopefully it will make a interesting grex. My plan is to continue to save seeds primarily from the Mandan Pepo squash to use it as the cytoplasm mother. It will be interesting to see this year if there are any obvious hybrids from last year.

I need to rototill a spot better for the Maxima squash.

« Last Edit: 2022-05-11, 11:00:48 PM by William S. »
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Greenie DeS

• View Profile
    • Garden Updates
Re: 2022 Squash
« Reply #1 on: 2022-05-11, 10:47:24 PM »
Sorted out my seeds today. I'm doing a coastal maxima grex that's just tossing everything out there, a northern grex with a focus on crossing everything into gold nugget where I remove gold nugget's male flowers, and a tiny pepo one for fun.

Squash grex (maxima winter bred into gold nugget)
-Sweet mama William Dam
-Sundream Bee & Bird
-Boston Marrow Heritage Harvest
-Mandan Banquet Heritage Harvest
-Sweet Meat Heritage Harvest
-Blue Kuri Adaptive
-Little gem red kuri
-Lower salmon river Annapolis
-Buttercup Denali
-Silver Belle
-Lofthouse Buttercup Experimental Farm Network
-Latah Snake River
-Sweet Meat Annapolis
-Potimarron Adaptive
-Blue Hubbard Heritage Harvest
-Arikara Heritage Harvest
-Burgess Buttercup Heritage Harvest
-Desert Spirit Experimental Farm Network
-Nanticoke Experimental Farm Network
-Lofthouse Maxima Julia
-Hokkaido
-Pueblo Highlands Experimental Farm Network
-Warted Hybrid Veseys
-Winter sweet Veseys
-Wild bunch mix Veseys
-Plus pkt each Saved Red Kuri (Threshold), saved buttercup (Threshold), Gold Nugget (Heritage Harvest), North Georgia Candy Roaster

Squash grex (pepo)
-algonquin pumpkin Heritage Harvest
-Thelma Sanders sweet potato secret Seed Cartel
-Mandan Heritage Harvest
-Gill's Golden Pippin Adaptive
-Candystick Delicata Experimental Farm Network
-Celebration Veseys
-Heart of Gold Veseys
-Table Sugar Veseys

William Schlegel

• View Profile
    • William's Instagram which is not set to public so message me if you want added
« Reply #2 on: 2022-05-11, 11:43:47 PM »
That is a fun Maxima grex I recognized some names from past additions to my own Maxima grex. I was going through my Maxima seeds today there are a lot of bags of seed from specific squashes. The last two years I just grew Lofthouse Buttercup for seed crops. This year I am going to grow the grex again!
I started 20 some years ago with Rio Lucio from Native Seeds Search then in the last few years I have added: Joseph's Buttercup + Joseph's Maxima + Arikara + Hidatsa + Bitterroot Buttercup + Lower Salmon River + Uncle David's Dakota Dessert + Buttercup. This year my wife wants me to grow some Jarrahdale because she likes the look and has some specific flower arrangements in mind for it. I said sure. Based on the description of Jarrahdale I looked up online it should be a fine addition to the grex. Today I found a bag of something I grew probably from Joseph's Maxima that sounds a lot like Jarrahdale. Maybe that is the bag I will plant next to Jarrahdale.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Greenie DeS

• View Profile
    • Garden Updates
« Reply #3 on: 2022-05-12, 07:55:19 AM »
I just hope I get actual seed this year! Last year I got a bunch of squash but only two fruits (red kuri and burgess buttercup) had viable seed. It was a weird weather year though.

I'm a little sad to have to be a functionalist about this. I love huge squash but they will not ripen here. Gold nugget does.

Very curious to see what this year's weather gets up to.  It'll be the determining factor in any of this working out.

Adrian

• View Profile
  • Hardiness Zone: 7b
« Reply #4 on: 2022-05-12, 09:48:03 AM »
I will try this year a few f2 of violino rugosa x butternut
I will selected a small violino rugosa fruits!
« Last Edit: 2022-05-12, 01:21:27 PM by Adrian »

William Schlegel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2022-06-04, 12:32:28 PM »
Maxima squashes are finally germinating. They and a lot of other things would have germinated earlier if I watered them in, but I didn't get it done.

Pepo and Moschata squashes have also germinated. I think I have germination on all the really critical Moschata squashes including Tetsukabuto F1 and Ayote though I see some seedling thistles in the vicinity.

However, amongst the pepo squashes it looks like the Goldini just isn't germinating. Darn. Maybe it still will. I did plant it in two spots, one clear across the land because I am not likely to get blossoms bagged and properly isolated. Still not far enough technically but should be ok-ish. Though not a worry if it doesn't germinate in either spot!

« Last Edit: 2022-06-04, 01:49:47 PM by William S. »

Adrian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2022-06-04, 01:44:48 PM »
I remove the coat for the germination of the tetsukabutos f2.
I put even the seeds 24 to 48h in water.
Violina x tetsukabuto is sensitive at pythium during the germination and the vigor is low at the started of the grow.
« Last Edit: 2022-06-04, 01:52:07 PM by Adrian »

William Schlegel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2022-06-04, 01:50:55 PM »
I planted the Tetsukabuto F1 I had leftover with the moschata and some Tetsukabuto F3 with the maxima with no special precaution. Also probably some older Tetsukabuto genetics in there somewhere from Joseph though it is hard to know if it persisted and I didn't find any seed labeled as that specifically but I may just not have dug far enough into the squash seeds.
« Last Edit: 2022-06-04, 01:53:17 PM by William S. »

Adrian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2022-06-04, 02:02:29 PM »
The problem is that the seed stay stick at the cotyledons and the germination is sometimes very long:sometimes up to 1 month after the first root
If the germination is too long the plant is more weak ans she  is more sensitive at diseases and mainly at slugs.
« Last Edit: 2022-06-04, 02:05:38 PM by Adrian »

William Schlegel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2022-06-05, 02:01:59 PM »
Found eight Goldini seedlings today in the garden I planted just that in. It is the NE garden and the other pepo garden is the SE garden so they are over 300 feet apart. From Google Earth measuring tool I guess more like 500 feet or around 163 meters. I think that will give decent isolation without futzing with taping blossoms.

Greenie DeS

• View Profile
    • Garden Updates
« Reply #10 on: 2022-06-07, 04:41:19 PM »
I started half my squash seeds a couple weeks ago; they're on their first leaf and going out this weekend.

William Schlegel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2022-08-06, 12:49:07 PM »
Maxima squash is forming a few squashes in two large patches. Moschata squash has just barely started to have a few female flowers and start forming squash. Pepo squash main crossing block is really sad and I haven't found a female flower yet on the Mandan squash though a few of them have zucchini looking leaves. I really hope they fruit.

However the Carol Deppe Goldini squashes are being amazing and look to be setting a nice seed crop already.

Notes to my future self: plant fewer seeds, fertilize, weed, and water early. Rotate crops.

Might still work out fine.

Randy Simmons

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: 2022-08-06, 01:55:08 PM »
Planted a small area of squash in my garden this year.  Our new location doesn't seem friendly to squash.  In past years tried various acorn squashes which didn't set fruit at all, set fruit which rotted, or was eaten by bugs, or plants that just turned yellow and died.  This year I planted only moschata squash: Lofthouse landrace, Bulam early, and Canada crookneck.  I bought a lot more varieties than that but ran out of room.  3 of 10 plants are doing well, the rest are tiny and/or turning yellow.  Bulam has longest vine and fruit on it.  Lofthouse is just a little behind, and Canada crookneck is behind them both but still looks healthy.  My goals for this year are to grow squash and save seeds.  Next year I will add other variety/varieties.  I think I have only one variety from EFN so I'll look there and research the varieties mentioned above.
« Last Edit: 2022-08-06, 01:57:43 PM by Randy Simmons »

Greenie DeS

• View Profile
    • Garden Updates
« Reply #13 on: 2022-08-06, 09:12:29 PM »
My maximas have female flowers but I haven't seen a definitively pollinated one yet.

I planted some direct-seeded maximas June 15 or so, and the ones on the extreme south slope are putting out their first female flowers so a couple of them did catch up to the transplanted ones, or just about (my first maxima female flowers were a week ago?) but the structure of the plants is less mature, they've got much shorter and fewer vines (but much larger thicker vines and leaves!).

How long does it take from female flower to viable seed?