Author Topic: tiny seeded melon  (Read 226 times)

Nicholas Locke

• View Profile
Re: tiny seeded melon
« Reply #15 on: 2018-10-31, 03:42:15 AM »
The irony of using Carol Deppe as an example,  as her Goldini Zucchini is just that,  dual purpose.

I'm not necessarily breeding for edible seeds,  but i don't see why both couldn't be accomplished if one wanted.
True Andrew,
But If you wanted a melon with nice flesh and lots and lots of large seeds for eating, (which would be quite easy to breed for) I would say the draw back to that is it would be a pain in the arse to eat!
there is always a trade off in everything. I think it all depends on the situation..
"Maybe" said the farmer...

Dominic J

• View Profile
    • Lochaber Experimental Hopyard
« Reply #16 on: 2018-10-31, 12:13:00 PM »
The irony of using Carol Deppe as an example,  as her Goldini Zucchini is just that,  dual purpose.

I'm not necessarily breeding for edible seeds,  but i don't see why both couldn't be accomplished if one wanted.

Well, the more traits you select for, the harder it is to select for extreme performance in any given trait. Individual plants excelling in one trait are rare, plants excelling in many? Even rarer. Ups the scale of the breeding program you need to maintain the odds of elite breeding material.

And that's disregarding the possibility for antagonisms, which could quite possibly apply in a seed vs flesh selection. The plan only has so much energy to allocate, after all.

Raymondo

• Northern Tablelands, NSW, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2018-11-02, 03:20:54 AM »
Nick or Rowan, if either of you end up with enough small seeds to share at some point, give us a hoy. Id love a small seeded watermelon. Id cross it into Orangeglo, the only watermelon Ive tried that is reliable in my short season.
Ray
Growing in slightly acidic clay loam over clay and ironstone

rowan

• Southern Victoria, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Garden Larder
« Reply #18 on: 2018-11-02, 12:05:52 PM »
I will definitely have some for next season ray, just remember to ask me closer to time :)
--------------------------------
Garden Larder:  www.gardenlarder.com.au

Raymondo

• Northern Tablelands, NSW, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2018-11-02, 01:34:52 PM »
I will definitely have some for next season ray, just remember to ask me closer to time :)
Many thanks Rowan.
Ray
Growing in slightly acidic clay loam over clay and ironstone

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2018-11-02, 03:06:21 PM »
All good points. I was just pointing out that the possibility is there. In any case it's slightly off topic to this threads main objective,  so let's move on.

I too am more interested in this tiny tomato seed trait if i don't already have it, which i probably don't. I'm liking this idea more and more and think this could really take a chunk out of the traditional seedless watermelon business. Heck i feel like I've seen that in one i bought as seedless before, maybe.

Add me to the list of interested parties in getting seed from you down the line. It could make for some interesting crosses and introgressions.

Nicholas Locke

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2018-11-02, 05:52:57 PM »
Ray and Andrew, I could spare 10 or so seeds for you guys If you want?
Ray, crossing to Orangeglo  sounds Interesting! I love the taste and vigour of that melon.
PM me , and If your interested in anything else let me know I might have something..
"Maybe" said the farmer...

Lauren

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2018-11-03, 07:17:37 AM »
I got a watermelon from a neighbor that had tiny white seeds--I thought it might be a growing problem rather than a variety. I didn't grow it and I don't know where she got it--does anyone think there might be problems with including it in my landrace?

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2018-11-03, 07:59:43 AM »
I got a watermelon from a neighbor that had tiny white seeds--I thought it might be a growing problem rather than a variety. I didn't grow it and I don't know where she got it--does anyone think there might be problems with including it in my landrace?

Well i guess it depends on if the seeds were flat and undeveloped or if plump and fully developed.

True "seedless" watermelons still have seeds,  they just won't grow because of the chromosome mismatch of a tetraploid crossed with a diploid.

But otherwise, if they grow, then they should be fine. They may not be adapted to your climate necessarily but i don't see any problems other than that.

I suspect the seeds your neighbor gave you might be flat and unviable, but without more information it's hard to know for sure.