Author Topic: Projects at El Huerto, Oz.  (Read 537 times)

gmuller

• Bendigo, Australia. 515mm rain - if we are lucky
    • View Profile
    • Useful Seeds
    • Email
Projects at El Huerto, Oz.
« on: 2020-02-23, 08:43:54 PM »
Thought I would post a few pics of progress on current projects at my new abode near Bendigo, Australia. The garden is less than 6 months old.

A mass cross sweetcorn project - every sweetcorn in my collection, mostly based around Lofthouse Ashworth SE and Bon Jour. (part of a mock 3 sisters planting with every coloured bean underplanted, and short butternut squash at each end of the bed)

gmuller

• View Profile
    • Useful Seeds
    • Email
Re: Projects at El Huerto, Oz.
« Reply #1 on: 2020-02-23, 08:44:49 PM »
An ad hoc cilatro trial - I'll probably select the late bolters - if there is such a thing. Pleasance farm, Slowbolt Winner, Standby, seed coriander from the herb cupboard, and my generic home grown that could be anything.

gmuller

• View Profile
    • Useful Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2020-02-23, 08:45:30 PM »
My F5 or 6 Fatso Parsnip growout - all the roots stored from last year's growout rotted in the fridge and in the ground. The new garden plot means I can overwinter these in the ground, dig for selection in spring, and immediately replant for seed production.

gmuller

• View Profile
    • Useful Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2020-02-23, 08:46:19 PM »
Farthest North Melon selection sibling growout - again, F5 or 6. searching for a sweet, perfumed 8 cm netted muskmelon that slips and doesn't crack. Getting close. These are 4 plants each of 4 siblings from last year that all rated 9/10 or better. Hope to cross these to a dwarf Lofthouse muskmelon, to get the dwarf architecture  into the mix.

gmuller

• View Profile
    • Useful Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2020-02-23, 08:47:33 PM »
The dwarf Lofthouse melon - Note the compact architecture. The flavour is so-so, and the texture a bit mushy.

Kajari Melon. Said to be drought resistant - I'm intending to cross this (as the maternal parent) to my Farthest North selection. If I find time this season.

GM

gmuller

• View Profile
    • Useful Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2020-02-23, 08:49:37 PM »
Theres a basil mass cross project too, (visible in the foregound)  of the butternut squash growout/mass cross. 10 varieties said by the ebay seller to have butternut characteristics.

gmuller

• View Profile
    • Useful Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2020-02-23, 08:50:19 PM »
and a dwarf coloured carrot mass cross yet to be sown. Imagine a picture of bare prepared bed.
gm

whwoz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2020-02-23, 09:12:07 PM »
Looks like you have been busy and are enjoying the extra growing space G.

gmuller

• View Profile
    • Useful Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2020-02-25, 02:43:18 PM »
Yep, going mad with projects, Woz.
G

Steve1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2020-02-25, 06:11:17 PM »
Yep, well done Gregg! You have made some great progress in 6 months.
Looks like the bore water is working well.

gmuller

• View Profile
    • Useful Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2020-02-26, 01:45:35 PM »
The bore water has thrown some interesting results, Steve.

For example, ropreco paste tomato has thrived, covered in fruit - everything else really shy in production apart from Jaune Flammee.
Some tomatoes have really suffered from BER - I'm guessing salty water since they are my usually my most reliable and robust.
One batch of Squash just turned up its toes a week or so ago - Musquee de Provencev - Marina de Chiogga seems to be doing OK - it is from the sandy islands off the coast of Venice, so seems to have retained a bit of its coastal resistance.
The melons are thriving.
Most of my garden is on 50% bore 50% rainwater, so water management has been a bit of priority. Working on a way to connect three disparate rainwater tanks into my system, and which crops can work on 100% bore.

How's the Peninsula coming on?
G

Steve1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2020-02-26, 06:14:40 PM »
Interesting Gregg. Sounds like youíll be selecting for salinity tolerance this year. Peninsula is great. More garden space than I can poke sticks at. Your storage tomatoís have bean about the earliest for me, which has been surprising. In general tomatoís have been slow this year. I have lost some stuff to wind rock (though not staking tomatoes). Evidently iím going to be selecting for big root systems this year.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2020-02-26, 07:47:38 PM »
Hmm, wild tomato genetics might be interesting there for salt tolerance.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian silty clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

gmuller

• View Profile
    • Useful Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: 2020-02-27, 03:15:24 PM »
Hmm, wild tomato genetics might be interesting there for salt tolerance.
William, biosecurity regs are very tight in Australia (with good reason) so sourcing from overseas is out of the question. I've looked online for sources in Australia without much luck.
We do have in Australia a fair assortment of traditional varieties - some of the traditional Mediterranean varieties from coastal regions are said to have salinity resistance.

My bore water is about twice the concentration of the upper limit of that considered fresh. My 75000 litres of rainwater tanks have  sufficed so far, and with 50% 'shandying' with bore water should cover me for most irrigation - when i get it set up properly.

My standout tomato this year in my low input garden is Ropreco Paste, a semi determinate small fruited nippled Roma type from Italy, that is completely outperforming the other 15 or so varieties of slicers and pastes. Palmwoods paste, which came highly recommended, is yet to produce a single ripe fruit on 4 plants.
G

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2020-02-27, 04:20:51 PM »
No Australian gene banks to request an accession from?
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian silty clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days