Author Topic: Reisetomate / "Traveler tomato" project  (Read 802 times)

William S.

• View Profile
Re: Reisetomate / "Traveler tomato" project
« Reply #15 on: 2020-07-01, 03:38:14 PM »
Yep, if you can use pollen from something with a dominant trait (anthocyanin usually shows up as codominant), you'll just be able to see it in the F1.

I have trouble with flowers I emasculate drying out in the field. They seem fine inside or in the greenhouse. However in the field I can't seem to get crosses. So I've been relying on exserted stigma varieties and just doing partial crosses or even bee crosses.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian silty clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Ben S.

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2020-07-01, 08:39:08 PM »
That makes sense.

Hopefully I have better luck outdoors. I did a few hand pollinated crosses years ago with apparent success, but haven't tried this in a long time. If it comes to it, I'll try growing a few indoors sometime later.

I read your thread about exserted stigmas a while back, and Joseph Lofthouse's post on his site about the same. I've started collecting seed for some known exserted varieties, including some wild ones. At some point I'll do a plot of all of them planted nearly on top of each other and let them have a freaky plant party.

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: 2020-07-13, 03:50:31 PM »
I looked into Reisetomate a lot, seems to be variation from some traders / sellers. Some have fruit that don't separate as easily etc. Anyway its a bit of a pain to cross them using female parts. So I just went out earlier and used their pollen on White Beauty, Pink Brandywine and Costoluto Florentino flowers that I emasculated. Also tried on a whole bract of my exerted Solanum pimpinellifolium variety. Don't have any identifier number for it sadly. Took petals off so that bees aren't as likely to cross it with other things. My Reisetomate that I grow is quite vigorous in terms of growth, also somewhat late blight resistant in my opinion. Decent amount of fruit set for a large heirloom type.

Edit:Photos went on here double? I think I timed out at first and photos went away and I readded.
« Last Edit: 2020-07-13, 03:52:31 PM by Garrett Schantz »

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: 2020-07-13, 07:49:44 PM »
Went out again and managed to emasculate some flowers on Reisetomate. Tried out Black Vernissage pollen, I quite like how the fruit looks ripe and unripe. Tom Wagner Blue Green, will try selecting for anthocyanin and maybe the foliage which is shaped a bit differently than other tomato leaves, if Reisetomate has "normal shaped" fruits from some offspring I will save those as well next year. Also of course tried some pollen from S.habrochaites for exerted trait along with foliage, enhanced vigor. Did some Costoluto Florentino again as well - this time pollen onto the Reisetomate. Costoluto Florentino has quite a few flowers that are fused together. Also tried my exserted pimp's pollen on Reisetomate. If my Big Hill grows enough to get flowers I will try it as well - saves me the trouble of selecting a large tomato. Thinking of trying my Galapagos pollen as well simply for foliage and  - really getting hit hard by blight with no resistance, also slow growing but hoping Reisetomate will help out with that. Seems I said Reisetomate quite a few times... Anyway if the crosses take, I will try getting seed out to people who want it. Went a bit crazy with all the crossing today!

Ben S.

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2020-07-18, 05:30:07 PM »
Very cool Garrett! Glad to see someone else playing with this interesting plant.

William - forgot to update you. Didn't see too much in the way of exposed stigmas. Out of 25ish flowers, there were around 5 that looked like the stigma was maybe about level with the top of the cone, and 2 more just barely exposed. It's possible there are more than that, on some of the crazier flowers I'm having trouble distinguishing what parts are what because everything seems out of place. Regardless, there might still be a place for them in a 'promiscuous pollination' patch though... once the flowers open up they seem ready to share gobs and gobs of pollen. Shake them a little bit and it just falls out. Touch them and it's yellow streaks on your fingers.

The flowers are interesting. Some of them are like the fused kind of beefsteak flowers that I've seen called "marigold" style flowers. But there are a bunch more that have the same multiple stigmas/anthers/etc, except they're arranged in a neat and tidy little donut / ring shape. Sepals around the outside as usual, then a ring of all the important bits, and then some bonus sepal-like structures in a tiny ring right in the center of the flower. And I did notice a couple of flowers that look like they might only form a single globe.

Work got busy and I missed the opportunity to hit some of my first-choice target plants with pollen. Looks like I'll be starting a new round of seeds. I may let a few take over the indoor grow room. Anyone have tips on the best light cycle (or anything else) for growing tomatoes indoors? Never tried before.

Ben S.

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2020-07-18, 08:33:42 PM »
Oh wow, I took some Reistomate cuttings the other day and threw them in water. Totally forgot about it. They've already got some nice roots going. That was easy.

Ben S.

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2020-07-24, 06:13:42 PM »
Noticing something as fruit is getting bigger - the fruit on plants grown from Baker Creek's seed acquired this year have the individual cherry lobes more deeply separated compared to the fruit on the line I've been keeping. Mine seem to have broader area where they're fused together. Not sure which I prefer at this point.

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: 2020-09-09, 11:37:48 PM »
All of my crosses burnt off awhile ago now. Unsure about the ones I rubbed pollen on using exerted pimp. Was browsing more tomato seeds out of boredom earlier, found one called "Godzilla". Has the same fasciation as Reisetomate. Also apparently has better taste(sweeter) than Reisetomate and the fruits all ripen at around the same time. Only tomatofest sells it from what I can tell. Could try a bunch of different Reisetomate seeds from different sources along with Godzilla. The even ripening sounds pretty nice. I tried waiting for some of my tomatoes to fully ripen on the plant, only to watch them rot while some parts are still green. Granted the story is that you would travel with it, so the uneven ripening might be nice. Tearing off the ripe parts from the clusters would seem like a pain, taking into account that most of us will never use it for that purpose. Godzilla seems like a better base for improving on / for breeding in my opinion. Could try crossing the two varieties as well if you are just trying for better taste - saves the trouble of having to screen for fasciation in the offspring along with the taste factor.