Author Topic: Crop Wild Relatives Article KEW  (Read 42 times)

William S.

• View Profile
Crop Wild Relatives Article KEW
« on: 2020-01-06, 02:19:45 PM »
https://www.kew.org/read-and-watch/conserving-crop-wild-relatives

Thought this was cool. KEW just wrapped up a big effort to collect seed for crop wild relatives.

In a  larger sense all plant species are at risk and having seed banks is a nice back up.

Was in CA a few years back and someone reported at a conference what percentage of California's rare plants had been seed collected. It was shocking, so much more work to do. Then it isn't enough to have them in a seed bank. you need to be able to grow them, get some seed increase, and restore the collection. You also need to be able to share seed with people who actually want to plant it. There is very little funding and very little jobs for this work.

That's one of the reasons I grow a few odd California edibles in my Montana garden like Salvia columbariae and Salvia carduacea. Edible, native to the continent, important to pollinators, and they smell good. I think home native plant gardeners should definitely think a little outside of natural range in these times of climate change.
« Last Edit: 2020-01-06, 04:54:21 PM by William S. »
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian silty clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days