Author Topic: Our Weather -2020  (Read 2428 times)

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
Re: Our Weather -2020
« Reply #45 on: 2020-08-16, 03:50:28 AM »
June and July were unpleasantly hot and very dry. June was about the driest I've ever seen. August so far has had some hot but not much over 90 F, overall fairly pleasant and some rain. Lots of stuff maturing right now so not the best time for damp weather. O well...

Daniel C.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: 2020-08-16, 04:12:44 AM »
Extremely dry June. Limited to about a 1/10 an inch a week. Then we started getting heavy storms in July and August. Most of the rain in these storms drops within a couple hours, so numerous emergency tomato harvests at the market farm

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: 2020-08-16, 01:19:12 PM »
Coldest frost of the winter this morning with -4C-24F.
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps

Woody Gardener

• NW Arkansas, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: 2020-08-16, 06:10:27 PM »
My NW Arkansas garden normally gets about 6 inches in June, this year, less that a 1/4 inch. June was also sunny and hot; I lost most of my crops as I depend on rainfall to water my isolated garden though I have a 165 gallon stock tank with a tarp for catching rain to start seeds and occasional watering with dilute urine.

No problem for Indigo Pear Drops tomato though. Lots of indigo and yellow fruits and a lot more ripening. This has the heat and drought resistance of Matt's Wild Cherry and Coyote tomatoes but has a much heftier crop.
https://www.superseeds.com/products/indigo-pear-drops-tomato-65-days

Steph S

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2020-08-16, 06:28:46 PM »
We had a frost warning last night too, after 4 days of heat warnings - seems all I got was a heavy dew, luckily.   This year has been all mixed up.  Very cold May until the last week turned very hot, and that continued through June, hot and dry with a few very cold days to break it up, just enough to wait for July to turn the corner - and then July was very wet and cold, close to the record set in 2015.  August so far mostly very hot but some rain or fog a couple of times a week.    Greenhouse tomatoes found it too hot to set in June, they did better setting in July but we are late getting anything ripe and overall the fruit set is scanty.  Garlic harvest was early, and did pretty well overall.  Peas took a long time to flower, they have only just started. 

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 2020-08-16, 10:59:25 PM »
98 F tomorrow here
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian silty clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2020-09-03, 10:15:24 PM »
90 F tomorrow but 32 F predicted for Monday morning. Ugh. What's the minimum viability for squash seeds of Moschata and Tetsukabuto?
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian silty clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: 2020-09-09, 01:53:15 PM »
What a huge range of temps William.

Spring is well and truly here now along with the strong winds, though today is looking calm with some rain, need more rain than what we have been getting, only had 280mm or a bit over 11in for the year so far.
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps

Adrian

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2020-09-26, 02:03:15 PM »
Its the end of the saison fur us.
7C 44,6F this morning and 11C, 51,8F this afternoon with wind and rain.
If the weather and the air are dry you don't would meet problem. The temperature is a med od 12C 53,6F between the day and the night.
« Last Edit: 2020-09-26, 02:14:36 PM by Adrian »

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: 2020-09-26, 10:01:38 PM »
Squash did horrible this year. As did some other select crops. Rained too much in spring. Followed by high humidity, little rainfall and heat in the summer - everything dried up immediately after watering, usually around 86F - 96F almost all summer which was odd for this area, usually it fluctuates a bit. Not even the Amish families here got much squash and they are usually pretty good farmers... Tomatoes did fine, as did peppers and cucumbers, corn did not like the humidity it seems. Had first frost last week, pretty light though. Which was pretty early. Habrochaites was handling the lower temperatures, but the frost seems to have upset the plant. Every year recently here have all been different rainfall, temperatures etc. It was in the 90s and suddenly went into the 40s - 50s within a week. Hard to predict what next year will be like due to this...

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: 2020-09-29, 12:53:13 PM »
Just seeing the back end of a nasty Antarctica blast but what was unusual this time was the airflow originated from the center of the continent, so temperatures were some of the coldest seen for a few years.

alps

Adrian

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2020-10-16, 01:50:34 PM »
Today, 9C 48,2F the morning and 11C 51,2F the afternoon, cloudy.
Sweet period before a cold period.

Adrian

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2020-10-19, 01:16:19 PM »
Tomorrow, 2C 35,6F the morning and 18C 64,4F the afternoon with a great sunshine.
The moschatas are finished, i wait to harvedt the tetsukabutos and the last melon.
« Last Edit: 2020-10-19, 09:18:02 PM by Adrian »

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2020-10-24, 12:35:52 PM »
Fall and Winter are in conflict here. 0F tonight. Larix occidentalis hasn't turned yellow yet.

Weather pattern in recent years has more frost free days in general. Then a short fall or a massively deep freeze early on. Oikos seed grown Helianthus tuberosus always freeze hard before getting to set any seed. I think Carol Deppe was pretty accurate in her chapter on climate change.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: 2020-10-24, 01:30:20 PM »
Good layer of snow there William.

Here this morning I get up to a warm morning because of a sub tropical air mass 19Cdeg over night, summer is just around the corner.
alps