Author Topic: Our Weather -2020  (Read 2430 times)

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
Re: Our Weather -2020
« Reply #30 on: 2020-02-20, 09:33:32 PM »
Climate change is making our growing season longer, it has always been the mid Aug the point where the first noticeable sign of spring happened and mid Feb the first feelings of autumn, within the last ten years the growing season as spread two weeks either side while winters are becoming much shorter and less extreme.
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2020-02-20, 10:33:38 PM »
I planted favas today a month early. Bare ground, sunny, and it got up to 40 F. Last year we had deep snow at this time. We were sick of it and it went into march. Last year if I had planted favas it would have been in April. Our first wildflower of spring the sagebrush buttercup showed up a month late.

Both winters are within the range of normal here actually. The jet stream has been nice and smooth. No dipping down this year. It's like the winter of 2004-2005 this winter.

I expect though that the average is getting warmer. I think our growing season is longer. 130 days frost free is getting more common. Still could catch a 100 frost free day year though.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian silty clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2020-02-24, 08:30:06 PM »
Weather staying pretty stable here. Highs in 40s F. Light dusting of snow today, melted already.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian silty clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: 2020-02-24, 09:38:18 PM »
Been one of the driest summers I can remember, only had 18mm of rain this year, that's so little that none of the rain had any benefit, thank goodness for having lots of water close underfoot.
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2020-02-25, 09:45:44 AM »
Been one of the driest summers I can remember, only had 18mm of rain this year, that's so little that none of the rain had any benefit, thank goodness for having lots of water close underfoot.
What period of time did that include?

We've had about 100 mm over last few of days. Cloudy, cold, wet, dreary. Not really cold enough that I generally have fire in the wood stove but feels cozy, even if windows have to be opened in the bedroom.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: 2020-02-25, 10:27:38 AM »
Thats Jan and Feb period, Dec was dry and cool.

The experts are saying that because the sun is ending a solar minimum period they tend to be followed by strong el nino or la Nina, looking more likely a la Nina which should bring wet weather to my eastern of the island,
alps

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2020-04-19, 08:06:44 AM »
It's been pretty dry here though we caught enough rain for it not to be dusty.

Rototilling has been going well with the dry.

This dry is not atypical in early spring here. May and June are the wet spring months typically. The winter was also dry which seems to happen periodically though this is the first dry winter in a long time.

Night time lows are edging above freezing so it's time to occupy the backyard greenhouse. I turned two 72 cell trays of tomatoes into nine trays of 18 cells yesterday.

Last actual frost is expected around may 15th here. Though is sometimes earlier and sometimes later. Interesting to me is that sometimes it gets warm enough for warm season crops to germinate up to ten days before the last frost and sometimes it does not. Also a one inch rainfall event really triggers germination when it happens.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2020-05-06, 09:47:11 AM »
Low of 23 F Thursday. Goodbye stonefruit flowers...

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: 2020-05-06, 06:34:07 PM »
Low of 23 F Thursday. Goodbye stonefruit flowers...

Bugger!! How common is a frost that cold at this time of year
alps

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2020-05-06, 10:19:31 PM »
Not uncommon but not every year.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: 2020-05-06, 11:30:29 PM »
Thats a -5degC frost, November is our corresponding month to May, being a long time since we've had a frost that cold thank goodness, only get light one nowadays
alps

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2020-05-07, 07:49:06 AM »
Interestingly this morning the forecast has improved considerably. Odd the national weather service seems less reliable now.

Steph S

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2020-05-07, 05:04:47 PM »
Re: weather forecasts of late - evidently a lot of wind speed data was normally provided by commercial flights.  So the drop in flying has had an impact on forecasting.  Aeolus is a (relatively) new satellite that is devoted to wind and is filling some of the gaps.  The interviewee said they are only accurate a couple of days ahead without the flight data, all the same.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2020-08-15, 08:59:41 PM »
Caught an august frost last week. 92 F tomorrow

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: 2020-08-16, 12:06:50 AM »
This year is going to be the driest year ever the way its going, only had 257mm or bit over 10in
alps