Author Topic: Our Weather -2020  (Read 3081 times)

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Cfb
  • Hardiness Zone: 9
Our Weather -2020
« on: 2019-12-31, 12:14:27 PM »
First day of 2020 and we have terrible smoke from Australia this morning, a red sun that's casting no shadows. Has brought warm air with it though.

Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
Re: Our Weather -2020
« Reply #1 on: 2019-12-31, 02:51:36 PM »
Australia blue arrow, red where I am.

Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps

gmuller

• Bendigo, Australia. 515mm rain - if we are lucky
    • View Profile
    • Useful Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2020-01-01, 06:12:35 PM »
Your welcome, Richard ;)
gm

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2020-01-01, 08:02:07 PM »
Your welcome, Richard ;)
gm

I would say thanks very bloody much......but I wont.

Smoke is not as bad as yesterday, but we could smell it today
alps

gmuller

• View Profile
    • Useful Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2020-01-03, 04:08:48 AM »
On a totally different note, I got a welcome visitor from NZ, a female Paradise Shelduck turned up at our waste treatment plant - a nice addition to my bird list for the year :) - the other guys won't get that if it buggers off home soon

Gregg

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and preservice science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
« Reply #5 on: 2020-01-03, 07:32:59 AM »
Got a nice coating of snow overnight. Not too deep, but the little one should be excited as ground was pretty bare.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian silty clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2020-01-03, 10:07:11 AM »
On a totally different note, I got a welcome visitor from NZ, a female Paradise Shelduck turned up at our waste treatment plant - a nice addition to my bird list for the year :) - the other guys won't get that if it buggers off home soon

Gregg
That is fascinating that it flew that way, normally they come this way with the westerlies, how common is it to see them over there 
alps

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2020-01-03, 10:08:46 AM »
Got a nice coating of snow overnight. Not too deep, but the little one should be excited as ground was pretty bare.
Starting to wonder if snow is a thing of the past here.
alps

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2020-01-03, 10:54:36 AM »
Starting to wonder if snow is a thing of the past here.
I imagine you'll see snow again, just maybe not at times and amounts your used to.

Sounds like Australia is gonna burn for months, hell, maybe years but one site I look at shows you might be getting some flow from the south. Is your air clearing up any?

It's about 10C here and wet. We've had a lot of light frost in the mornings but so far only three days below freezing and they were weeks ago. I'm not complaining about that too much, I don't like the - 20C crap we've got the last few years even if it is only for a day or two.
« Last Edit: 2020-01-03, 10:59:41 AM by reed »

gmuller

• View Profile
    • Useful Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2020-01-03, 01:19:09 PM »
That is fascinating that it flew that way, normally they come this way with the westerlies, how common is it to see them over there
second ever record in australia - i just luckily turned up at the right place at the right time - or the duck did :)
G

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2020-01-04, 12:23:53 AM »

Sounds like Australia is gonna burn for months, hell, maybe years but one site I look at shows you might be getting some flow from the south. Is your air clearing up any?
Yes, free of smoke today but it will be back tomorrow

alps

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: 2020-01-04, 12:32:27 AM »
Shockingly bad fires now burning
alps

whwoz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2020-01-04, 07:22:03 AM »
Yes indeed, be approaching 5 million hectares/15 million acres burnt this fire season so far....

Steph S

• 47.5N 52.8W Newfoundland AgCan zone 5a/USDA zone 4 Koppen Dfb
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 4
« Reply #13 on: 2020-01-04, 12:35:46 PM »
The Aussie fires have been headlining the news here all through the holidays.  Sad situation!
Our weather is unremarkable by comparison, except that we got all of December's snow between Christmas Eve and New Years Day.  One more blast of snow tomorrow night to cover the entire holiday season.
The trend this past fall has been similar to the year before - storms with high winds coming in from the south instead of north, so rain instead of snow.  Outlook is to have more of those during the winter except snow turning to rain or vise versa. 
I had to get some large trees cut that were south of my house and had become really menacing with stronger wind storms coming from the south.  Have not regretted that decision, as storm after storm followed the pattern. 

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: 2020-01-04, 09:55:38 PM »
Strong gales off the mountains here today, but at least it was warm along with a sunny blue sky day. The smoke ended up crossing NZ to the north
alps