Author Topic: Lofthouse Okra  (Read 842 times)

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
Lofthouse Okra
« on: 2019-12-22, 04:46:57 PM »
Was just going through OSSI pledged varieties. Noticed that Joseph's Okra strain was on there.

Wondering does anyone still grow it?

I remember Joseph saying something about being tired of the spines.

Remember avidly reading through Joseph's articles about his breeding process on this.

I've never grown okra myself. Though have been sitting on a packet of Mike's grex.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
  • Great Basin desert, Rocky Mountains
    • Open Source Plant Breeding Forum, founder. World Tomato Society, ambassador. Plant Breeder. Yogi. Shaman.
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dsa
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA Zone 5
Re: Lofthouse Okra
« Reply #1 on: 2019-12-27, 03:36:19 PM »
I grew a large batch of okra seed this year. Was even able to direct seed it.

The fall frost came exceptionally cold: Fierce enough to kill walnuts inside their shells. I harvested the okra anyway, not knowing if the seeds were likewise killed. I intend to thresh them and do a germination testing. 

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
Re: Lofthouse Okra
« Reply #2 on: 2019-12-27, 04:05:45 PM »
Probably depends on seed moisture levels at the time of frost which could be variable. Thus even if germ is low, I would expect some.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days