Author Topic: Breeding Sweet Potato in Australia  (Read 1992 times)

whwoz

• View Profile
Re: Breeding Sweet Potato in Australia
« Reply #60 on: 2020-02-01, 05:17:12 PM »
Ok, thanks Steve,  the green one is green to the tips, will get more photos today,  those were taken about 8 last night.

Reed,  thanks for that information,  could open a can of worms if that happens

Steve1

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2020-02-02, 06:42:43 PM »
Steve1, I have a problem with the SP you sent labelled as Japanese SP.  Two plants were received and they are showing different growth patterns, leaves on one are green, the other has Purple new growths.   Any idea as too which is the true Japanese variety

The green leafed version may have a bud forming

Whwoz, had a chat with Fon last night whilst looking through my SP patch. None of mine look like that green one of yours. That, could be due to differing environmental conditions though. But I did supply two sorts of Northern Star and green and purplish one. One of the two Northern Star varieties may have been mislabeled in the nursery when I got the slips. Could you go eyeball your Northern Star and see if you have two sorts?
Cheers
Steve

whwoz

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2020-02-02, 07:22:29 PM »
From memory, only 1 Steve.  Currently at work, will check when I get home.

whwoz

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2020-02-03, 01:20:54 AM »
Definitely only one Steve.   It has heart shaped leaves.

fon42

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: 2020-02-03, 01:21:01 AM »
Whwoz

Going over to check mine this week so will put together some pics ....this overall shot is all i've got.....Jap is 2nd in from the top right corner.

i will list names when i do pics

first pic 7 Jan and the second is 16 Jan

mud map is hard to read but may help

Cheers :)

whwoz

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2020-02-03, 01:36:52 AM »
Thinking that I will just refer to them as Japanese green leaf and Japanese Purple leaf for now.  The roots will have the final say.

Steve1

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2020-02-05, 08:55:18 PM »
Thinking that I will just refer to them as Japanese green leaf and Japanese Purple leaf for now.  The roots will have the final say.
Fair enough whwoz. Again sorry. I looked up the list i sent with the package, as I had a picture and I packed Japanese right before Northern Star. For extra confusion, the green Northern Star appears to have started heart shaped and gone palmate. This is also evident on the picture i took when i collected the slips - where the newest leaves were looking palmate. The heart shape leaf business on some varieties may just be juvenile foliage.

fon42

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: 2020-02-06, 01:21:16 AM »
Ok here is a photo shoot of my varieties

whwoz

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2020-02-15, 04:21:54 AM »
Looking good Fon.

Giving the elevation promotes flowering theory a good test this year, have extended the mesh the full width of the SP bed, but I am wondering if the crazy season we are having is working against me here.

Steve1

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2020-02-15, 05:20:07 AM »
Looking good Fon.

Giving the elevation promotes flowering theory a good test this year, have extended the mesh the full width of the SP bed, but I am wondering if the crazy season we are having is working against me here.

From what I understand whwoz, hormones are a large part of the puzzle - which is why big SP breeding programs graft to ornamental flowering morning glory species. The flipside to this is genetic load or the accumultion of deleterious mutations (which are really part and parcel of clonal vegetative crops and in one paper I read referred to as part of the domestication process of clonal crops) that that affect the ability of the plant to flower - perhaps by inhibiting these hormones.
The third question is does growing from slips affect hormone production and flowering. I have considered doing a study comparing slip vs tuber plants and flowering over multiple years to nut this out. It's interesting at least on the surface that the NZ SP's that have flowered so much more than ours have been overwintered as house plants and also likely well advanced in terms of maturity. And finally there is the environment. Heat is likely to have a role here - perhaps in hormone production too.
My ornamental SP has buds that are getting bigger but none I can see on any other variety, but here we have had cool weather, lots of fog and rain. The Solanum potatoes are doing well though...
These are just my thoughts, I'd be keen to hear any others...

fon42

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: 2020-02-15, 02:11:43 PM »
Hi

I've not heard of the elevation or Tuber theory before only that daylength and hormones play a big part. also stressing the plant to near death sometimes works with other species. That said whwoz i'm trellising mine for convienience and will try a method used in fruit trees were they bend the branch at 45 deg or even downward to accumulate more hormones.

%20Bending%20Shoots%20Stimulates%20Flowering%20and%20Influences%20Hormone%20Levels%20in%20Lateral%20Buds%20of%20Japanese%20Pear.pdf]file:///C:/Users/Karl/Downloads/[23279834%20-%20HortScience]%20Bending%20Shoots%20Stimulates%20Flowering%20and%20Influences%20Hormone%20Levels%20in%20Lateral%20Buds%20of%20Japanese%20Pear.pdf

i can now report i have my first flower buds but on the northern star. the other varieties show no signs yet.

Going to Muirs n sons Monday and will be checking out "biostimulants" at the very least it "seems" cysteine and zinc play a big role in flowering. need to check if this is just hype

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAZyBp6yJsU

Cheers :D

Steve1

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2020-02-17, 05:39:57 AM »
Hi

I've not heard of the elevation or Tuber theory before only that daylength and hormones play a big part. also stressing the plant to near death sometimes works with other species. That said whwoz i'm trellising mine for convienience and will try a method used in fruit trees were they bend the branch at 45 deg or even downward to accumulate more hormones.

%20Bending%20Shoots%20Stimulates%20Flowering%20and%20Influences%20Hormone%20Levels%20in%20Lateral%20Buds%20of%20Japanese%20Pear.pdf]file:///C:/Users/Karl/Downloads/[23279834%20-%20HortScience]%20Bending%20Shoots%20Stimulates%20Flowering%20and%20Influences%20Hormone%20Levels%20in%20Lateral%20Buds%20of%20Japanese%20Pear.pdf

i can now report i have my first flower buds but on the northern star. the other varieties show no signs yet.

Going to Muirs n sons Monday and will be checking out "biostimulants" at the very least it "seems" cysteine and zinc play a big role in flowering. need to check if this is just hype

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAZyBp6yJsU

Cheers :D

Is that a grafted one Fon??

Steve1

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2020-02-18, 03:39:02 PM »
First flower, 13íc this morning after 50mm of rain. Not to mention the wind.

whwoz

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2020-02-19, 03:53:33 AM »
Steve, glad to see you have a flower,  the buds on mine don't seem to be developing further,  which is frustrating but life,  not much I can do about it

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: 2020-02-19, 10:13:21 PM »
Fantastic Steve. Wouldnt mind some of your rain, only had 18mm this year so far.
Changeable year round climate, less so summertime, warming winters - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps.