Author Topic: Breeding Sweet Potato in Australia  (Read 2109 times)

gmuller

• Bendigo, Australia. 515mm rain - if we are lucky
    • View Profile
    • Useful Seeds
    • Email
Re: Breeding Sweet Potato in Australia
« Reply #75 on: 2020-02-20, 03:04:54 PM »
no buds or flowers on mine. Next year, maybe.
gregg

Steve1

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2020-02-20, 08:45:46 PM »
Fantastic Steve. Wouldnt mind some of your rain, only had 18mm this year so far.

Richard, I'd be happy to swap you some of the 200 odd mm of rain from the last month for some sun and heat? It's weird when you get a long stretches of 17-20'c in Feb. I hear its pretty droughty in NZ, particularly Auckland - is that right?

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: 2020-02-20, 09:19:29 PM »
Richard, I'd be happy to swap you some of the 200 odd mm of rain from the last month for some sun and heat? It's weird when you get a long stretches of 17-20'c in Feb.
Been the other way around here early summer then turned dry and warm, the average max this year would be running around 27deg

I hear its pretty droughty in NZ, particularly Auckland - is that right?
Yep, but it seems to becoming more common for the far north, normal for my eastern side of the alps.
Changeable year round climate, less so summertime, warming winters - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps.

Steve1

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2020-02-23, 05:13:51 AM »
no buds or flowers on mine. Next year, maybe.
gregg

Don't give up hope yet Gregg. It's slim but we'll see. Another mate I gave some slips too, ornamental purple flowering - but nothing else.
I did drop by Uni the other day where I got a number of the other slips, and he has 4 other varieties in flower/bud now. Not sure what they are as they were unlabelled and he wasn't around to ask at the time. Further investigation there, and hopefully more genetics for next year. My patches of Okinawan, Kumera and Wanmun are large, the others not so much as they were planted later, but with the eqinox coming we can at least see what might be short day.

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2020-02-23, 06:00:32 AM »
What is daily temp range right now in your part of the world?

Steve1

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2020-02-23, 07:24:21 AM »
For me Reed, looking at it mean min 15.7'c and mean max 23'c. A couple of nights sub 10'c over the last few days and 8 days over 25'c so far for the month. Has been foggy here too at times. It was warm and sunny today though...

gmuller

• View Profile
    • Useful Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: 2020-02-23, 08:52:20 PM »
Steve, I've put up a short trellis, so we will see if a bit of elevation works - most of the plants trailing on the ground tho.

Steve1

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2020-02-24, 04:54:23 PM »
Great Gregg, at least it should save your back looking for the buds.
Just found an interesting paper from Japan (1977) looking at the effects of Gibberelins on flowering in SP.

For me the salient points from this paper were mostly summarised on p255

1) Field grown plants didn't flower

2) Short day photoperiod is necessary to induce flowering

3) GA's do increase flowering in SP under short day conditions.

4) Fall grown cuttings flower much easier than summer grown cuttings (even under short day photoperiod conditions) - and I think this one is likely key looking at Richards overwintered SP's and how much flowering they have in NZ.

Whilst there is genetic variability in SP's, as demonstrated by the ornamental purple leaf which is flowering now - this probably demonstrates why ours are generally dragging their feet.

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jsbbs1951/27/3/27_3_251/_pdf/-char/en

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2020-02-25, 06:02:32 AM »
I think the extremely high variability of all traits in sweet potatoes is key, it overrides all other aspects. A mistake I made in reading a lot of the papers and research available is assuming that what applied to one collection of germplasm applies similarly to the whole species but that isn't so. Instead of saying "sweet potatoes" authors should say "the sweet potatoes in our work".

That doesn't mean the findings in that paper don't apply to your experience, just that it isn't cut in stone that it does.

One thing I saw though, scrolling up on that paper, it said concerning non-flowering
trouble has been eliminated by grafting to impomea species that do not produce storage roots
That caught my eye cause of the time I had that hydroponically grown plant that made no storage roots but bloomed profusely. Growing in water might be worth a try to induce flowers. Maybe too try digging them up and removing the big roots and replanting, I know for sure that the ones I have just keep growing and blooming when I do that but of course they were blooming already.

« Last Edit: 2020-02-25, 06:18:41 AM by reed »

Steve1

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2020-02-28, 03:29:43 AM »
Ok, so some good news. Firstly, I have buds on what was an unnamed bench scrap which I think I confirmed yesterday as Evangeline (daylength neutral). Also, I have another ornamental (also daylength neutral) purple heart shaped leafed SP in flower which was kindly given to me by Chris who has also been very generous in giving me lots of other varieties I've shared.

Also of note is that in discussions with Chris, I suggested I thought there should be more action on the flowering front and he commented that no, in general most of what he has are short day flowerers around the autumn equinox, with the exception of the ornamentals and Evangeline. I really need to get a list going and work out all the day neutral cultivars he has.

Anyway, with Fon having Northern Star budding, Evangeline and two ornamentals flowering we might have a crack. Fingers crossed for warm weather. 
« Last Edit: 2020-02-28, 03:35:58 AM by Steve1 »

gmuller

• View Profile
    • Useful Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: 2020-02-29, 12:45:45 AM »
I've got some GA3 in the fridge - I could take a few stem cuttings and try them in the polytunnel overwinter. could hook up the heat bed, too.
G

whwoz

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2020-02-29, 01:58:56 AM »
Seriously thinking about floating a few in the dam - strike some cuttings in 4 inch pots and suspend off pump float to see if that serves to replicate Reed's effort hydroponically.  will probably need to watch out I don't just feed the ducks.

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: 2020-02-29, 11:31:48 AM »
and I think this one is likely key looking at Richards overwintered SP's and how much flowering they have in NZ.

Just remembering that they do vary wildly, one of my clones kicked the bucket as soon as the daylight hours became short, while one other thrived over winter, (must go and look up which one that was)
Changeable year round climate, less so summertime, warming winters - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps.

whwoz

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2020-03-10, 02:45:53 AM »
I have just found my swee potato flower,  on the ornamental but still a flower!!

fon42

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: 2020-03-10, 03:56:09 AM »
congrats!....hopefully we will all see some flower action in the next few weeks