Author Topic: Breeding Sweet Potato in Australia  (Read 3134 times)

fon42

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Breeding Sweet Potato in Australia
« Reply #30 on: 2020-01-21, 12:09:38 PM »
the rest

whwoz

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2020-01-21, 12:17:05 PM »
Something funny going on here, when I login through a computer I can't see Fans pick, but on my phone they are there.   Weird one that.

Beautiful pictures and well done on your grafting success Fon. Looking forward to seeing them flower for you.

ImGrimmer

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2020-01-21, 12:28:09 PM »
Just an idea: if you graft an easy to grow Ipomoea on a batatas rootstock would the rootstock produce tubers as well? It wouldn`t help with reproduction but it might be an option to produce tuber in an non optimal climate?

gmuller

• Bendigo, Australia. 515mm rain - if we are lucky
    • View Profile
    • Useful Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: 2020-01-21, 01:12:17 PM »
Thanks Fon, I'll surely be up for some of that rootstock. I just struck some cuttings from my big white tuber i got from the chinese grocer. Took forever to sprout, even after i picked one with little sprouts emerging when i purchased. Will be interesting to see how it grows over the rest of the season.

And that's an interesting thought ImGrimmer.
GM

Steve1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2020-01-21, 06:43:06 PM »
Thanks Fon, I'll surely be up for some of that rootstock. I just struck some cuttings from my big white tuber i got from the chinese grocer. Took forever to sprout, even after i picked one with little sprouts emerging when i purchased. Will be interesting to see how it grows over the rest of the season.

And that's an interesting thought ImGrimmer.
GM

Gregg, can you post a picture of the leaf shape / plant? I think the only all white I have is American White, very vigorous all green leaves. Commercial starch variety in the USA.

Cheers
Steve

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2020-01-22, 05:56:20 AM »
Just an idea: if you graft an easy to grow Ipomoea on a batatas rootstock would the rootstock produce tubers as well? It wouldn`t help with reproduction but it might be an option to produce tuber in an non optimal climate?
Interesting question, my guess is the batatas root stock would still make storage roots. They technically aren't tubers I don't think, not that it really matters.

Is cold the non-optimal condition your concerned? If so it still might not help that much as the roots would also want to be warm, unless maybe you could heat the soil with black plastic or something.

whwoz

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2020-01-22, 09:23:17 PM »
Just checked my sweet potato plants and the ornamental purple leaf is starting to put out some buds,  only small at this stage, not seeing any on any of the other varieties.

ImGrimmer

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2020-01-23, 02:13:24 AM »
Is cold the non-optimal condition your concerned? If so it still might not help that much as the roots would also want to be warm, unless maybe you could heat the soil with black plastic or something.

Yes that was my second thought. Cold soil might be the biggest problem.

gmuller

• Bendigo, Australia. 515mm rain - if we are lucky
    • View Profile
    • Useful Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: 2020-01-23, 12:57:09 PM »
Gregg, can you post a picture of the leaf shape / plant? I think the only all white I have is American White, very vigorous all green leaves. Commercial starch variety in the USA.

Cheers
Steve
Steve, pics of the white sweet potato. Has purple bases to the petiole, and purple venation on the under surface.

Lauren

• Utah, USA, 4000 ft
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2020-01-23, 07:40:12 PM »
I just struck some cuttings from my big white tuber i got from the chinese grocer. Took forever to sprout, even after i picked one with little sprouts emerging when i purchased. Will be interesting to see how it grows over the rest of the season.
The root may have been treated to prevent sprouting. Sweet potatoes are strong enough to overcome that, but it might take a while.

fon42

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: 2020-01-23, 07:52:56 PM »
Hi GM
that looks different to the "American white" and "Purple tip white flesh" i have. will be interesting to see what it is.

Here in Victoria tuber formation starts around Christmas so be prepared to over winter the plant indoors if it dosn't tuber up this late in the season.

If u have a greenhouse that may help.

Steve1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2020-01-24, 04:23:56 AM »
Hi GM
that looks different to the "American white" and "Purple tip white flesh" i have. will be interesting to see what it is.

Here in Victoria tuber formation starts around Christmas so be prepared to over winter the plant indoors if it dosn't tuber up this late in the season.

If u have a greenhouse that may help.

Fon, can you post some pics of the purple tip/white flesh that I have from you please? As you say definately different to American White. There may be a few of us telling partners we have some lovely new house plants this winter... Do they flower? Sometimes...

fon42

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: 2020-01-24, 01:59:26 PM »
Steve

going to catalog all of them when i go up to the parents next week. the ptwf is heart leaf with purple juvenile leaves and dark green mature leaves....its a runner and vigorous.

GM's one reminds me of the Japanese leaf and i think that can be white.

fon42

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: 2020-01-24, 02:03:35 PM »
Hi all

This is a great lecture on sweet potato breeding. The nuts and bolts start at about time 28 minutes...enjoy  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdzh0GTSJU0

whwoz

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2020-01-25, 02:40:56 PM »
Some photos of the leaves of the different varieties that I have this year. In the file name,  B=Bunnings, our local big box store and S1 = Steve1 , member here as source.  I have also set up a trellis to try yo encourage flower formation and to prevent runners getting into the tomatoes