Author Topic: Breeding Sweet Potato in Australia  (Read 3358 times)

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
Re: Breeding Sweet Potato in Australia
« Reply #15 on: 2019-12-22, 06:41:54 AM »
Do any of your available varieties bloom good? 

Steve1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2019-12-22, 02:13:29 PM »
Steve, GM, the orange SP that I have here are starting to kick on and I could take some cuttings off them if you want

Whwoz, one would be great thanks. When you can.

Cheers
Steve

Steve1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2019-12-22, 02:28:12 PM »
Do any of your available varieties bloom good?

Hi Reed, yep some of them do bloom well. Which ones I dont know (apart from the ornamental), but one of the local uni guys has been maintaining his collection for a number of years and I've seen lots flowering. Some as slips, some as forgotten neglected potbound plants. I'm just trying to get as many in one place as possible with everyone thats interested and see what can be done. There's still more to get but that was all I could handle this year. The coldest November since 1995 and starting a new garden have hindered progress a bit... I'll post more as things start to happen.

fon42

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: 2020-01-16, 06:41:39 PM »
Hi whwoz,

Steve told me you may be interested in my efforts with the sp breeding.

Just touching base for now but will post my results on grafting to Ipomoea carnea to induce flowering soon.

Currently doing cuttings of elite Ipomoea carnea that i can share with the group. maybe in a month or 2.

Attached is the article that inspired me to try grating.

Cheers :D

whwoz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2020-01-16, 07:04:25 PM »
Gidday and Welcome Fon 42.  Steve did mention your work with grafting sweet potato,  sounds very interesting and I look forward to hearing how they progress.

Have been growing those varieties available through the big green B store for the last couple of years without any flowers.

I have also grown I.aquatica or Kang Kong and had probably 40 to 50 flowers pollinated last year so I know that the local insects are able to pollinate if I can get flowers.

gmuller

• Bendigo, Australia. 515mm rain - if we are lucky
    • View Profile
    • Useful Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: 2020-01-19, 04:20:16 PM »
thats an interesting paper, Fon, thanks for putting it up.

How hard is it to graft? Working back from first frost, what would be a timeline for grafting, flowering, crossing, seed development, and harvest?
GM

fon42

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: 2020-01-20, 01:29:14 AM »
Hi
I plan to do a post in the next couple of weeks with pics and a brief outline.

There is very little info on the nuts and bolts even in the scientific articles most my efforts this year is to get a baseline.

Grafting is not too hard using a simple wedge graft and will be experimenting with a few other methods if i get time.

Frost is not a big deal hear near the cost but cool temps in April would be the cut off for me.

Day length is the big hurdle so if i can induce flowering before the equinox this would be a major win....especially for next year.

The grafts should start budding by early Feb if all goes well. If not from 22nd of march, that would give a month of flowering.

May have some elite rootstock seeds i could send you this winter.....i suspect you have more room up there in Ballarat to screen a few plants  ;)

This is a 2 wk old graft pic attached

Cheers

Karl
« Last Edit: 2020-01-20, 04:52:27 PM by fon42 »

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2020-01-20, 03:10:11 AM »
Love the graft picture. I'm gonna try some more to graft i batatas with i pandurata but have never done any kind of grafting before. That picture is worth way more than a thousand words in showing me how to go about it. Thanks!

whwoz

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2020-01-20, 04:11:10 AM »
That is what they call a wedge graft Reed.

Steve1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2020-01-20, 04:52:19 AM »
Nice work Karl. That graft looks good. 
The Japanese paper I read some time ago used Ipomea nil and said "The sweetpotato scions form flower buds in 3 weeks after grafting and continue to  flower for more than 2 months." (Link below)
I did find a local source for I. nil, but havent yet bought any seeds. Any elite carnea material would be great mate.
Reed, one of the secrets to grafting is a sharp grafting knife. The most important thing is to get the cambium layer of graft and stock to align or match up on at least one side so that it can knit together. Get a bunch of stuff together and have at it. I haven't grafted SP, but I'm guessing keeping the humidity up might be useful while the graft takes - Karl, what did you do post graft?
I went to take some pictures of my patch today but we had fog... Not exactly SP weather.

Cheers
Steve

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/313785584_Recent_progress_in_sweetpotato_breeding_and_cultivars_for_diverse_applications_in_Japan/fulltext/58a5c8fc4585150402d58805/Recent-progress-in-sweetpotato-breeding-and-cultivars-for-diverse-applications-in-Japan.pdf

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 2020-01-20, 09:16:15 AM »
Thanks for that link to the research article, don't think I have that one in my collection. It's -10 here right now so all I can do regarding sweet potatoes is read about em.

Here is a picture of my feeble attempt at a graft, it's a batatas stem on a pandurata root. I used the v shaped corner of a cookie cutter to make matching cuts on each and some scotch tape to hole em together. The pandurata was one that never got transplanted from when I started them in a pot last spring and was being discarded so I decided I'd see what happened. I planted in a pot  in a south facing window and the batatas stem stayed alive way longer than I expected.

I think if I pay a little better attention to my technique it might work. I'm trying to make a pandurata x batatas hybrid and hope maybe some gene transfer through a graft will help with that.  Batatas stem on pandurata root pollinated by pandurata and vise versa.

whwoz

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2020-01-20, 10:20:32 AM »
Reed, Next time you want to try, do what you have done previously, then grab a sharp knife and push it into the V in the pandurata root about 1/3 of an inch and trim down the sides of the batatas stem over the same distance, could even go down as far as 1/2 and inch if you wanted to,  then push the batatas stem into the pandurata root and make sure the cambian layers line up and you shall have your wedge graft.  Hopefully the top will survive a lot longer for you that way with better nutrient transfer.  Watch out for shoots below the graft level and remove them as soon as you see them otherwise they will draw hte sap flow away from the graft, slowing its growth and maybe even killing it.

fon42

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: 2020-01-21, 01:38:16 AM »
Ok here is a summary of what i have done so far  :)

Grafting Ipomoea batatas ( sweet potato) to induce flowering

After finding the article on the “inducer” rootstock (Ipomoea carnea) for sweet potato I grew 12 plants keeping the best 4 plants with one plant producing double the flower buds of the rest.
Four rootstocks were grafted in early January 2020 with 100% success rate.
Flowering is expected within a couple of weeks or when day length is 12 hours on the equinox.
The major objectives were to get baselines for practices and plant responses and use elite rootstocks that have been overwintered next season.

Photo rootstock (Ipomoea carnea)

Grafting

Wedge grafts were used with a twin/side by side arrangement as the scion was about half the diameter of the rootstock. I used a Scalpel blade to do cuts as the plants are very soft and care needs to be taken with the small stems.
Notice the small size and NO  leaves on the scion. Only side buds are require.

Grafts were secured with para-film tape. (buy ebay or florist) this is a very stretchy wax tape not paper or plastic.   

Unlike a normal graft these were placed higher on the stem. This is to allow some lower growth of rootstock branches for hormone production (flowering)
After grafting plants are placed in a healing chamber in full shade (no direct sunlight) for 7-10 days. These high humidity chambers can be plastic bottles or even supported plastic bags. Condensation should be visible on the inside.

Healing chambers

After 10 days the healing chambers can be removed BUT plants must be slowly introduced to full sun over a few days. Tape can be gently remove after active growth is observed.

Leaf growth of grafts at about 2 weeks

I will be multiplying the rootstocks to share.
Cheers
Fon  :)

whwoz

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2020-01-21, 04:49:08 AM »
Fon42,

Thank you for that description, looking forward to hearing of the results re:flowering when it occurs.
Unfortunately the photos you attached do not show up for me, in the attached snip, I press on the

"Attachments and other options" button, then click on the "choose file" button, ensuring that the attachment meets the size limitations shown.  Hope this helps in future.
« Last Edit: 2020-01-21, 04:52:53 AM by whwoz »

fon42

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: 2020-01-21, 12:06:29 PM »
ok here are the pics again...one pic at a time