Author Topic: Breeding Sweet Potato in Australia  (Read 360 times)

whwoz

• View Profile
Breeding Sweet Potato in Australia
« on: 2019-12-19, 12:55:46 AM »
As a small number of the Aussies on here are starting our own collaborative attempt at breeding Sweets, it is probably appropriate that we have a thread for our own conditions, rather than mix up others threads causing confusion.

From Member Steve1 on here I have the following

Kumera, Wangmun, Solomon, Japanese, Purple, Ornamental Purple, Northern Star, Okinawan, Red Garnet and American White.

Solomon I think it is may not make it for some strange reason, the others are looking good. 

From the local green shed, an orange flesh/skinned variety, probably Beauregard as this makes up 90% of sweets grown commercially here.  A white skin purple flesh, most likely WSPF and a purple, not sure about anything else about this, if like previous buys, it will be a purple fleshed, white skinned var.

Have managed to stumble across or be pointed to several other sources of Sweets in Oz, may yet push known to me vars up near 50.  Must increase vegetate garden size!!

Troppo

• View Profile
Re: Breeding Sweet Potato in Australia
« Reply #1 on: 2019-12-19, 03:29:07 AM »
Hi Whwoz, fellow Aussie here. Interested to hear your results. Iíve been chasing a deep purple fleshed variety to grow in the veg patch but all I seem to find is WSPF which isnít that flash of a variety. Iíve grown Beauregard and quite like itís productivity but itís a bit moist - I prefer something a bit drier.

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-12-19, 03:48:53 AM »
I thought I'd seen about all the color combinations but yet to have one with white skin and purple flesh. Lots have shown up with the opposite of that.

I'm still waiting on a nice purple skin/orange flesh. I'v had a few with that combination but nothing to rave about as far as flavor or production.

whwoz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-12-19, 04:20:44 AM »
Troppo, have you looked on Gumtree?  Several people list a purple skinned, purple fleshed var available, there is also the mentioned Okinawan and Hawaiian Purple vars available. 

There is also the Queensland sweet potato repository that several of us are going to attempt to source material from next year.  you may find the report below of interest.

https://www.horticulture.com.au/globalassets/laserfiche/assets/project-reports/vg09009/vg09009-final-report.pdf

Does anyone know anything about the variety called American White, it is supposed to be a starch variety, any ideas on the best use for these?
« Last Edit: 2019-12-19, 04:25:43 AM by whwoz »

whwoz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-12-19, 04:28:30 AM »
Reed, just had a quick look at Sandhills list, there are a couple of white skin, purple flesh var on it, although it looks like not all are available.  Do not know who you have dealt with in the past or what other suppliers you may have access to

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2019-12-19, 06:25:31 AM »
Most of those I've bought were from Sandhill but I've also sourced some locally. I suspect most local ones are Beauregard or maybe Puerto Rico strains. What I've discovered though is once you start getting seeds you don't necessary need a parent with specific traits in order for those specific traits to show up in your seedlings. For example none of the parent varieties I've used had purple/purple or white/white but offspring with those colors have grown from the seeds.

A very sweet pink one showed up as a clone mutation from a purple/white root. Will that plants seeds be prone to making more sweet pink ones? Who the heck knows?

It also applies to other observable traits. Sweet/not sweet, nice roots/stringy roots, big vines/ bushy vines, green leaves/purple leaves, blooms/don't bloom. It's like all the possibilities are in all of them. It's great fun seeing all the new ones that show up but my primary goal is that they reliably produce nice roots and seeds from seeds in 100 days or less. All the rest is gravy.

I think once you get seeds a lot of new ones that might be worthy of preserving as clones will show up if you want to do that. I've discarded 50 or more of them in last few seasons cause they weren't seedy enough or just because I can't let my whole gardening life and all my storage space be taken over by sweet potatoes. I only keep maybe 1/2 a dozen of the best each year to clone and cross back with the seedlings. Hoping to fortify the traits I like best in the overall grex.
« Last Edit: 2019-12-19, 06:35:03 AM by reed »

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2019-12-19, 10:58:23 AM »
All the best you fella's over there with this project. You have quite a lot of varieties over there.
Changeable year round climate, less so summertime, warming winters - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps.

Steve1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2019-12-19, 07:25:52 PM »
Hi Whwoz, fellow Aussie here. Interested to hear your results. Iíve been chasing a deep purple fleshed variety to grow in the veg patch but all I seem to find is WSPF which isnít that flash of a variety. Iíve grown Beauregard and quite like itís productivity but itís a bit moist - I prefer something a bit drier.

Hi Troppo,
I'm sure I can send you a few purple fleshed slips. I believe the purple flesh intensity can be driven by environment or in some cases plain genetics. Not sure which ones I have though.

Cheers
Steve1

whwoz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2019-12-20, 12:01:25 AM »

Solomon I think it is may not make it for some strange reason, the others are looking good. 

One of the two Solomon slips will make it.  Those where I have only one I will stike a cutting when the growths are long enough.

Steve1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2019-12-20, 04:21:10 AM »
Whwoz Okinawan is the same variety as Hawaian Sunshine (White skin/Purple flesh). American White is a commercial starch extraction variety. The most vigorous so far that I've seen. I believe it eats ok, especially if you like the starchy ones.
I believe Purple is a purple fleshed variety and not Okinawan.
There are still more varieties for me to get my hands on - some of which have come from the QLD germplasm repository. I'm starting a new garden this year so 10 was about my maximum for this year.

Northern Star is the Red/Purple Skin/White Flesh FYI.

White Skin / Purple Flesh is an Australian variety, released 2000.

The ornamental SP I have I think might be one Reed used early on (very dark purple leaves) - not sure of the tuber color though. Do you remember Reed?  Thanks Reed, just looked at the Aus SP reference above and the local 'Blackie' ornamental version seems to have white skin / white flesh.

Edited to change add descriptions.

« Last Edit: 2019-12-21, 06:38:25 AM by Steve1 »

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2019-12-20, 03:13:41 PM »
The ornamental SP I have I think might be one Reed used early on (very dark purple leaves) - not sure of the tuber color though. Do you remember Reed?

Roots on the ornamental were purple skin white flesh and very stringy, no good at all. Some of the others I started with bloomed OK but I think that ornamental one really supercharged blooming in successive generations.

Trade off is half or more of offspring had stringy roots and they still show up from my seeds but ratio is down to maybe 30% now.

It isn't good for food production of course but in our climate plants can be dug up half way through the season, the stringy root ones can be culled or replanted semi-isolated. Doing that and replanting sets back root size but doesn't seem to impact seeds. Actually you don't always have to dig them completely up, a lot of nice root plants can be discovered just by poking around with your bare fingers. 

gmuller

• Bendigo, Australia. 515mm rain - if we are lucky
    • View Profile
    • Useful Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: 2019-12-20, 03:43:04 PM »
I've got Northern Star slips coming, a purple i got from a nursery last year but i didn't try the roots, and a Hawaiian white skin I bought at a chinese fruit shop a few weeks ago that is just beginning to shoot. If you guys want any, let me know.
Next year I'll be all over this :)
GM

Steve1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2019-12-21, 06:41:52 AM »
Roots on the ornamental were purple skin white flesh and very stringy, no good at all. Some of the others I started with bloomed OK but I think that ornamental one really supercharged blooming in successive generations.

Trade off is half or more of offspring had stringy roots and they still show up from my seeds but ratio is down to maybe 30% now.

It isn't good for food production of course but in our climate plants can be dug up half way through the season, the stringy root ones can be culled or replanted semi-isolated. Doing that and replanting sets back root size but doesn't seem to impact seeds. Actually you don't always have to dig them completely up, a lot of nice root plants can be discovered just by poking around with your bare fingers.

Thanks Reed,
interestingly, the local version seems to have white skin/white flesh at least according to the Aus SP reference listed above. Maybe a mutation. I'll hopefully know more in 4 or so months.

Cheers
Steve

whwoz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2019-12-21, 05:15:50 PM »
Steve, GM, the orange SP that I have here are starting to kick on and I could take some cuttings off them if you want

gmuller

• Bendigo, Australia. 515mm rain - if we are lucky
    • View Profile
    • Useful Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: 2019-12-21, 05:38:25 PM »
Steve, GM, the orange SP that I have here are starting to kick on and I could take some cuttings off them if you want
Thanks Wwhoz, but I might just see how i go with the ones I've got - not having grown SP before in the ground.
Gregg.