Author Topic: Exserted tomatoes ocassional out breeding a handy tool  (Read 325 times)

William S.

• View Profile
http://mushroomsblog.blogspot.com/2016/12/tomatoes-that-occasionally-outbreed.html?m=1

Link to Alan Kapuler's article on ocassionally out breeding tomatoes. I remember back when seeds of change was cool and independant Alan was their plant breeder.

I grew Alan's Golden Tressette for the first time this year. Of course their was some variation with and without a blue blush. It was exserted of course.

Joseph Lofthouse developed his Big Hill tomato in this vein. Looking for open flowers. It is reliably so.

Exserted flowers is now a trait I really look for in my garden. Joseph wrote about it and got me started looking. I'm finding it to be a handy tool, just look for the hybrids, then save seed and look for the segregates that have exsertion. Nice to have a few packets of the F2's marked as exserted. I'm sure they'll lead to future discoveries.

Joseph has a even bigger plan with self incompatible tomatoes. I think it will work too, but the exserted trait is handy on its own now.
« Last Edit: 2019-12-17, 12:26:28 AM by William S. »
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian silty clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Diane Whitehead

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Exserted tomatoes ocassional out breeding a handy tool
« Reply #1 on: 2019-12-17, 12:34:28 PM »
Thank you for that article.  Last year I grew lots of dwarfs and all the late blight resistant types I could buy with the intention of crossing them.  I didn't make any crosses.  If I still had the eyesight I had when I first hybridized 70 years ago, I could do it easily.  So next year, I'll grow hypertresses  snuggled up close to LB resistant ones and dwarfs and  let the tomatoes cross themselves.

Diane
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Kai Duby

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2019-12-23, 05:38:59 PM »
I worked on a farm this year that grew lots of Johnnys tomato varieties and I noticed that a lot of them had exserted stigmas. I don't know if the varieties were specifically from the Johnnys breeders but, whatever the source, it seems they used the exserted trait.

The varieties that certainly had exserted stigmas:

- Prudens Purple
- Pink Berkeley Tiedye
- Striped German

These are all rather large, long season varieties but figured I'd list them for later reference.
San Luis Valley, CO. >7,500'. Zone3-4. Low rainfall: 8-10''. Low Humidity. High winds.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-12-24, 09:27:27 AM »
Thank you for that article.  Last year I grew lots of dwarfs and all the late blight resistant types I could buy with the intention of crossing them.  I didn't make any crosses.  If I still had the eyesight I had when I first hybridized 70 years ago, I could do it easily.  So next year, I'll grow hypertresses  snuggled up close to LB resistant ones and dwarfs and  let the tomatoes cross themselves.

Diane

I was fairly impressed with my one Lizzano F2 plant for shortness of season. Would like to cross it with Big Hill perhaps.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian silty clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2020-02-06, 07:36:07 PM »
One thing to think about is direction of gene flow. In a garden like mine with self incompatible penellii and habrochaites and crosses. Exserted varieties of domestic will uptake pollen from the self incompatibles but not receive. Closed domestic tomatoes will similarly only be pollen donors.

Once tasty self incompatible tomato varieties are realized they will only be at risk of contamination by non tasty habrochaites and penellii because they should not receive pollen from domestics. However exserted domestics will still be able to receive including the self incompatibility.

So exserted domestics are the universal pollen recipient when working with either inserted domestics or self incompatible types and potentially useful either way.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2020-06-23, 10:14:40 PM »
During the workweek I am at my parents apartment. I brought seven of my tomatoes here. 5 are blooming. I was checking for exsertion. Exserted orange check. Blue gold ambrosia check. Then a surprise. Sweet cherriette = Exsertion, this has to be due to wet feet in a self watering pot, probably will stop as the plant matures. Blue bicolor not exserted though grandparents were a little.

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2020-06-30, 08:11:10 AM »
I worked on a farm this year that grew lots of Johnnys tomato varieties and I noticed that a lot of them had exserted stigmas. I don't know if the varieties were specifically from the Johnnys breeders but, whatever the source, it seems they used the exserted trait.

The varieties that certainly had exserted stigmas:

- Prudens Purple
- Pink Berkeley Tiedye
- Striped German

These are all rather large, long season varieties but figured I'd list them for later reference.

Im not surprised the pink berkly tie die is on that list.  I believe it was developed at wild boar farms from natural bee pollination like most of the colorful striped varieties on that farm!

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2020-06-30, 08:13:04 AM »
Alan's Peace Seeds tomato varieties have always been interesting. If you haven't grown his other multi-flor tomatoes I recommend you try them! I haven't checked if peace Seeds is still running,  but peace seedlings by his daughter should be.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2020-06-30, 12:26:47 PM »
Personally now I have ~5 exserted strains, it seems logical to me to just keep planting them together for a few years. Probably end up with more. That's not even including the obligate out crossing project!