Author Topic: Breeding for Blue Tomatoes that taste good  (Read 1728 times)

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfa
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6
Re: Breeding for Blue Tomatoes that taste good
« Reply #15 on: 2021-03-10, 11:28:25 AM »
I'm growing a few blue tomatoes this year for this purpose.

Taste depends on whoever is eating the tomato, so I'm going for what I like.

I don't like red tomatoes - "tangy" also isn't ideal to me. Lycopene appears to be my main dislike.

White tomatoes are fine - so are orange types, - yellow varieties are ok but it depends on other factors of the tomato.

Fruity types that are mostly sweet pair well with white - cream - orange varieties.

This is all in my opinion. Others here appear to share the same taste, which is nice for breeding purposes. A lot of people seem to just want red.

Some blue tomatoes I am growing this year:

Black Bumblebee Trial from J&L Gardens - I got this as a sample seed, not too sure about the tangy description but I will try it out. Bosque Blue is a parent, the description mentions that Black Bumblebee is 60 days from maturity when transplanting out. Which is rather early.

Wagner Blue Green from Bakercreek - I bought this last year and ended up with cherry tomato sized fruit - completely round as well. Bakercreek no longer sells this tomato, unsure what happened there. Could be that the variety has some different variants floating around or that they sold the variant? It tasted fine. Still using seed from last year, so I will probably get cherry tomato types again.

Blue Cream Berries from Bakercreek (Wild boar farms) - Another variety that I bought last year, this one dampened off - unsure of how it tastes. Reviews say super sweet, good flavor. There is also mention of splitting issues when ripe. Some reviews mention that they are bland, which could be due to lacking some typical tomato flavors. Won't know until I try it. The seeds also look quite small, seeds look almost identical to habrochaites / peruvianum or other wilds in appearance. Probably a recent cross.

Woolly Kate - Can't remember where I bought this from, seeds are in a plastic bag from maybe two years ago? These I remember died off because I had to go somewhere after transplanting them, and there was a heat wave which killed them. Anyways, the fruit, branches and leaves all apparently have "hairs". Different hairs from habrochaites, they still might work for bug resistance. This variety might work well as a base for a woolly blue tomato when adding habrochaties cytoplasm.

Most of these I am just using for breeding, or they are older seed I had laying around. Also note that some of these are Tom Wagner, Wild Boar, J&L - all sorts of different breeders made these varieties which may have a good bit of diversity. Different people may select for different traits after all.

Some of these might be planted around my Habrochaites x Pimpinellifolium F2 - hopefully some are exerted. Or they might go towards one of the promiscuous saladette types.
I would prefer to work on the flavor before crossing them to a larger type, cherry tomatoes are easier for me to grow during the winter.

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: 2021-04-10, 07:46:31 AM »
OSU released a new blue tomato fairly recently. It's a roma. I wonder if the anthocyanin shows up when canned.

Midnight Roma: https://www.row7seeds.com/products/midnight-roma-tomato

A decent amount of seeds on the website say "We kindly request that those wishing to propagate or breed with these seeds for commercial purposes obtain a license from the breeder."

The section talking about their seeds says they never sell utility planted seed.

I would email and ask about anything that you purchase.

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and preservice science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
« Reply #17 on: 2021-04-10, 08:27:09 AM »
The blue would not be visible in the sauce but it does add some anthocyanin. Part of the reason Jim Myer's lab breeds blue tomatoes or promotes them is this nutritional benefit. Basically we eat a lot of tomatoes so adding some anthocyanin packs a nutritional punch. Roma is a traditional sauce tomato so this makes sense as an OSU introduction.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and preservice science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
« Reply #18 on: 2021-04-10, 09:51:43 AM »
So I have a tomato line I am calling Mission Mountain Sunrise that is a small early blue bicolor. I just dropped the paper OSSI registration form in the mail yesterday. So eventually it will be OSSI registered. It is a fun tomato.

One thing though I suspect it probably is determinate and that is part of where it gets its earliness. If determinate tomatoes really don't taste as good as indeterminate and dwarf tomatoes, it might make sense to make a cross with a dwarf. Wonder what happens when you cross a dwarf and a determinate? I don't think it is safe to say that dwarf, determinate, and indeterminate are alleles.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: 2021-08-08, 07:04:21 PM »
Figured that I would post an image or so of early - cold stressed antho fruit.

The plant itself is still purple - not noticing any new growth either. Was surprised to see flowers.

I had these marked down as Blue Cream Berries - there are some Wooly Kates that seem permanently stunted as well - no flowers / new growth on those plants.

I had regular plants that were cold stressed - but still recovered. The anthocyanin showing up after exposure to cold temperatures is interesting.

Purple Smudge seems the same.

Unsure if cold tolerant projects would interfere with Anthocyanin tomato projects. I will do a few tests next year.

On the flip side - these tomatoes are covered up by weeds and still showing decent amounts of anthocyanin in the fruits.
« Last Edit: 2021-08-08, 07:06:56 PM by Garrett Schantz »