Author Topic: Free the Seed! podcast Season 3 Episode 2: Dakota Tears Onion  (Read 60 times)

Rachel Hulten

• View Profile
Hi everyone! Here's episode S3E2 of the OSSI-sponsored plant breeding podcast, Free the Seed!. In this episode, I spoke with David Podoll of Prairie Road Organic Seed about Dakota Tears, an open-pollinated onion variety that he developed.

https://osseeds.org/free-the-seed-podcast-s3e2-dakotatearsonion/

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
Re: Free the Seed! podcast Season 3 Episode 2: Dakota Tears Onion
« Reply #1 on: 2019-11-07, 08:39:54 AM »
It's fun hearing these stories on the how and why of different people's  breeding projects. I don't have much in the way of storage space so I go a completely different direction with my onions. I like them to be wild or nearly so and very winter hardy. Clumps of little onions that can be harvested almost any day of the year and that just keep growing back are what we have gotten used to and enjoy.

I used to only have an old local walking onion that is way too strong flavor but now have much better varieties from seed trades. I think potato onions and shallots being in the beginning mix contributed to the improvement in flavor. An occasion day with high temp below zero F and no snow cover weeded out the weaklings. 

bill

• Administrator
  • USA, WA Coast
    • View Profile
    • Cultivariable
Re: Free the Seed! podcast Season 3 Episode 2: Dakota Tears Onion
« Reply #2 on: 2019-11-08, 06:29:32 PM »
Great stuff! I'm looking forward to the next one.