Author Topic: Check plo´dy in a plant in an easy way?  (Read 85 times)

Ocimum

• View Profile
    • Email
Check plo´dy in a plant in an easy way?
« on: 2019-10-28, 04:26:56 AM »
There are both diplo´d and tetraploid cultivars in many species, for example in watermelon (with the seedless being triploid).

How do you check it? Microscope? Or you get only seeds from trusted sources with known ploidy level?

Walt

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Check plo´dy in a plant in an easy way?
« Reply #1 on: 2019-10-28, 10:36:54 AM »
One way to check ploidy in many, not all, genera is to check the size of the guard cells on each side of the pores on the under side of leaves.  A relatively low power, therefore cheaper, microscope will do the job.
Other species will often hace more brittle stems, larger leaves, darker green leaves, in tetraploids.
Getting seeds from reliable sources is good, but in some species, E.g. soybeans, tetraploid lines aren't stable and revert to diploid whenever they feel like it.
In many cases, not all, hybrids are fertile if tetraploid, sterile if diploid.  But in other cases, interspecific hybrids are fertile.
I've made arrangements to use university labs when I need to count chromosomes.  Some university professors are glad to help like that.  Some aren't.  Each professor can decide for himself in the universities around here. 
Grad students often could use some money, and would do a count for you for a small fee.  Some will, some won't.  Some universities forbid it, most don't.
A professor taught my ex-wife to count chromosomes, no charge.  But she is long gone.   Some professors will do that, or more likely have a grad student do it.
Many high schools have microscopes good for counting chromosomes.  But most high school teachers don't know how and don'r realize their microscopes could do it.
Good luck with this.

Ocimum

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Check plo´dy in a plant in an easy way?
« Reply #2 on: 2019-10-30, 11:13:45 AM »
Ok, interesting tricks with the guard cells.

I remember years ago we might have counted chromosomes in high school, I'm getting old. Will have to refresh this.