Author Topic: Flint/Flour/Ornamental Corn for Central Ohio River Valley  (Read 4679 times)

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
Re: Flint/Flour/Ornamental Corn for Central Ohio River Valley
« Reply #75 on: 2019-11-23, 02:50:52 AM »
I finally got around to shelling off my corn seed for next year. I messed up and lost my pictures but I'm pretty pleased with my crop. It isn't huge but I have plenty of the desired F1s to continue  next year. As usual because of danger of critters I harvested earlier than I would ideally like. Seeds are all viable but I think for maximum yield and seed longevity it's really better if it can dry completely on the stalk.

Actually though I think what I ended up with is a good selection criteria. Since I'm after fast maturity and dry down I picked out those ears that had more fully sized kernels over those that didn't. More variation there than one might expect within each variety.

Cascade Ruby Gold was most mature and it was fastest to bloom, almost missing the opportunity for pollination from the others. Even though I planted it a week or so later. I ended up with just five ears of it, pollinated by the Zapalote Chico. Got nice selection of pericarp color in them which is a goal. Endosperm color is varied, I didn't expect that but I'm fine with it.

I have three very nice ears of the chinmark flint also pollinated by ZC. They all came out chinmark and with mostly white endosperm. A few kernels have some aleurone color. I'll just have to select that out in coming seasons a I very much like this corn. It came out very flinty despite the floury pollen parent. I love the purple stalks and deep purple cobs. Mated with the purple husks and stalks of ZC this trait should carry well into future generations. Two ears are 8 row and I like that.

Bronze Beauty stood out beautifully and I selected six ears of it. They also were pollinated by the ZC and also came out more flinty. Each of the six is a different pericarp color. Plants had nice strong stalks and excellent tip cover. Secondary ears formed well in crowded and drought conditions. Two of these ears are also 8 row.

There is a lot of variation in the Oxbow Farm yellow flint, and I picked nine ears of it again pollinated by the ZC.

On the crossed ZC itself I chose just five ears. It had way more variation in maturity than expected but I think these five are fine for the project since they were the five most mature. These were detasseled and crossed to all the flints. ZC pollen for the other crosses came from a different isolated patch so genetics of about 100 other ZC plants are in the mix.

So all of those ears are F1 crosses of the flints and the ZC. Varied pericarp color is well represented. More or less flinty endopserm is present so I can just pick out flinty kernels to plant and keep that up for a few seasons. Strong stalks, multiple ears per and 8 to 12 rows is well represented.

I think next year I can drop the hassle of detasseling and hand pollinating and just let it do what what it wants. It's mixed up enough that I can be pretty selective for awhile, picking just a few ears per season to concentrate the traits.

I want to make sure to keep the maternal line of the ZC in case there is anything cytoplasmic about the maysin production until the worms show me what to cull and keep regarding that.

I have option now too, to go either with white or yellow endosperm, or maybe pursue two different lines. Keep a white endosperm variety just cause I like the look of it better and a high carotene line too.

And the weather freaked me out this year. I don't what to grow several distinctly different types of corn but hate to just discard the massive collection of sweet and flour types I collected last few years. Maybe grow a selection of it in another patch along with some of the flint just to preserve it for now? Will have to think on that some.
« Last Edit: 2019-11-23, 02:56:02 AM by reed »