Author Topic: Flour/Ornamental Corn for Central Ohio River Valley  (Read 2296 times)

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
Re: Flour/Ornamental Corn for Central Ohio River Valley
« Reply #60 on: 2019-05-07, 02:59:56 AM »
Wet weather slowed me down but my flint corn project got started yesterday with a small patch of Oxbow Yellow/Orange Flint and Zapalote Chico. Cascade Ruby Gold I'm pretty sure is a little earlier flowering so I'll plant it in about a week.

This is the first of two, maybe three small flint patches for this year. If I get simultaneous flowering of all three I'll detassel the ZC and be very happy.  If not I will plant a second patch as soon as I know the actual flowering time of each.  Another later patch also dependent on knowing how they match up is the same cross but in the other direction ZC as father, flints as mothers.

I'm doing this as a blend rather than making hybrids and if it works from then on I can just plant and select, no more worrying about timing or detasseling.

Flour will be done similarly but it is delayed as the back garden isn't ready yet but should be in later in the week if weather cooperates.   

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
Re: Flour/Ornamental Corn for Central Ohio River Valley
« Reply #61 on: 2019-05-20, 01:02:42 PM »
First planting of my flint project is up strong. Zapalote Chico and Oxbow Yellow Flint were planted together four short rows of OYF on both sides of a row of ZC, in hopes I get lucky and they flower together. Another row of ZC is sandwiched between four rows of Cascade Ruby Gold on both sides. CRG, I suspect is shorter season so I waited till I had spouts of ZC to plant it. CRG shot up almost immediately though so who knows how it will all turn out.

Second planting was just done a couple days ago, it is the opposite with 20 rows of ZC inter-spaced with single rows of OYF and Bronze Beauty. Again CRG will be planted a little later. I added in the BB for some extra diversity but especially since it has white endosperm it will of course be de-tasseled and it was not included as a pollen donor in the other patch.

I messed up and planted ALL my pure ZC I got from GRIN but that's ok I guess as I have lots of my own from last year. It has some level of crossing with last years flour corns but a lot of it is pure so not too big a mishap.

Flour patch is also planted but it is much more complicated and diverse, so much so I will not really even attempt to track it, I'll just select.

One great thing I think, among many, about flint and flour corn breeding, as opposed to sweet corn is in a small patch like mine I get to keep, examine and select from ALL the plants not just those that didn't get eaten.

« Last Edit: 2019-05-20, 01:04:46 PM by reed »