Author Topic: Portage Leek  (Read 67 times)

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
Portage Leek
« on: 2019-10-04, 02:20:59 PM »
 Thought I had already started a thread for this breeding project, there was one on HGG though.

Ferdzy and I had swooped seed a few years ago that we had ourselves mixed up from our local seed lines. This year I'm seeing a 50/50 of two colour types, a blue green that throws to the NZ varieties and the more green of the Canadian types. But this growing season a wavy leaf has shown itself in three plants, ive not seen this before in my Portage line so I will be differently taking seed from these three for further breeding

Changeable year round climate with warming winters - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
Re: Portage Leek
« Reply #1 on: 2019-10-04, 02:25:04 PM »
Changeable year round climate with warming winters - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps.

Ferdzy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-10-04, 02:50:46 PM »
Interesting, and pretty.

I've been following a line of leeks that overwintered as seed, and look like being very hardy. I was chopping up a few for dinner the other night and they were so strongly scented my nose was running and my eyes were watering. They cooked up to the usual level of mild leekiness, but I've never had that reaction to a leek before.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2019-10-04, 03:35:45 PM »
Ive noticed that too with some,
alps.