Author Topic: Ipomoea pandurata, aka man root, man of the earth, wild sweet potato  (Read 1521 times)

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
Mine out at the end of the driveway along the gravel county road are doing well. Up above the weeds and growing into some wild rose bushes, very similar to the way I see them growing wild. Hoping for some flowers this year. I dug out and discarded one in the garden for fear it would take over the world. Apparently it can grow back from little bits of root left behind. 

Never got around to trying the grafting again, but suppose it's not too late. I've got some super early blooming sweet potatoes this year and plenty of the pandurata.

Chance

• View Profile
They will come back from bits of roots, very strong too.  If I could make it edible it would be a resilient food source. 

My vines, even the one I harvested most of last fall, all have flower buds already.  I may pick up some local sweet potato slips and try pollination this year.  Probably Iíll  try pruning the style of batatas and putting pandurata pollen on it before going through the trouble of grafting.