Author Topic: Interspecies squash hybrids  (Read 10303 times)

William Schlegel

• Botanist, gardener, and science teacher.
    • View Profile
    • William's Instagram which is not set to public so message me if you want added
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
Re: Interspecies squash hybrids
« Reply #60 on: 2021-02-26, 10:40:58 PM »
Yeah at EFN they make up 100 packets or so, then sell them, then make more. So things cycle in and out of availability.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfa
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6
« Reply #61 on: 2021-03-02, 01:06:03 PM »
 Seems like my germplasm order just got denied. Not going to try appealing it. Hopefully others have better luck getting some of the rarer squash genetics / germplasm.

For now I will just work with what I have. There is a new bit  which mentions that they can't send unlimited seed out because it could result in the loss of germplasm. Seems to be an addition to "no home - community gardeners". Probably so that they don't have to send seed out to non lab / non organizational breeders. Could also just be for weeding out gardeners or smaller scale breeders.

There are germplasm banks / researchers in other countries which I could probably request from with better luck. Good bit of seed in certain countries are getting old. Of course I would need to obtain seed permits , possibly having to send them over - unless they already have forms available.

Right now my focus is on brassicas / tomatoes.

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • Pea Breeding, Watermelon x Citron-melon, Purple Foliage Corn, Wild Tomatoes
    • View Profile
    • My blog
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfc / Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: 5b
« Reply #62 on: 2021-03-02, 02:10:09 PM »
Seems like my germplasm order just got denied. Not going to try appealing it. Hopefully others have better luck getting some of the rarer squash genetics / germplasm.

For now I will just work with what I have. There is a new bit  which mentions that they can't send unlimited seed out because it could result in the loss of germplasm. Seems to be an addition to "no home - community gardeners". Probably so that they don't have to send seed out to non lab / non organizational breeders. Could also just be for weeding out gardeners or smaller scale breeders.

There are germplasm banks / researchers in other countries which I could probably request from with better luck. Good bit of seed in certain countries are getting old. Of course I would need to obtain seed permits , possibly having to send them over - unless they already have forms available.

Right now my focus is on brassicas / tomatoes.

Too bad. Don't give up requesting seed in the future though. It generally helps if you give specific scientific breeding goals with very technical terms and information. A university email address probably does not hurt and only requesting one type of crop or species in each request. Definitely don't say home gardener.

I've generally had better luck with foriegn seed banks over US ones though in general. Nordgen, IPK Gatersleben, JIC seedstor.

Right now im importing another pea seed request from the JIC seedstor in the UK with a small seed lots permit. The small seeds lot permit was actually quite easy to get. But its kinda a pain to have it go through USDA inspections and pay to have it forwarded on. Not overly a pain as im doing it again obviously. But when given a choice I prefer seed piracy. Never a better time to be a seed pirate. ;) Though I can't exactly encourage others to go that route. Now to get a t- shirt with seed pirate on it. Haha.

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: 2021-03-02, 02:31:35 PM »
Too bad. Don't give up requesting seed in the future though. It generally helps if you give specific scientific breeding goals with very technical terms and information. A university email address probably does not hurt and only requesting one type of crop or species in each request. Definitely don't say home gardener.

I've generally had better luck with foriegn seed banks over US ones though in general. Nordgen, IPK Gatersleben, JIC seedstor.

Right now im importing another pea seed request from the JIC seedstor in the UK with a small seed lots permit. The small seeds lot permit was actually quite easy to get. But its kinda a pain to have it go through USDA inspections and pay to have it forwarded on. Not overly a pain as im doing it again obviously. But when given a choice I prefer seed piracy. Never a better time to be a seed pirate. ;) Though I can't exactly encourage others to go that route. Now to get a t- shirt with seed pirate on it. Haha.

Yeah I put breeder - sharing with others, conserving variety for backcrossing etc. I have appealed in the past and gotten seed. Might just try again next year. Only requested squash - orders in past have shown that they don't like orders with more than one breeding group.
« Last Edit: 2021-03-02, 02:33:17 PM by Garrett Schantz »

Troppo

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2021-04-09, 11:26:40 PM »
I’m looking to have a crack at exploring inter species cucurbita crosses particularly maxima and moschata. This season I crossed Jarrahdale and a Red Kuri type. I was wondering if I could use this F1 as a pollinator for Tetsukabuto F1 or could I use my F1 and pollinate it with a moschata? I’m thinking I would get better diversity from a double hybrid cross?

Adrian

• View Profile
  • Hardiness Zone: 7b
« Reply #65 on: 2021-04-10, 02:00:32 AM »
Too of diversity favorised the male sterility.
The crossbreeding with tetsukabuto are possible.
The last year, i have try tetsukabuto x red kury (13 seeds in the fruit) and tetsukabuto x violino rugosa (30 seeds in the fruit) and i have sucessed.
The alone problem is the seeds are of difficulties to germinate.

It better to did the germination in a environement very humid and hot, for example i put a minigreenhouse and a wintering veil above the seeds.
You can choose your moschata without problem but generaly the plant select the fruits with the most seeds.
« Last Edit: 2021-04-10, 02:50:16 AM by Adrian »

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • Pea Breeding, Watermelon x Citron-melon, Purple Foliage Corn, Wild Tomatoes
    • View Profile
    • My blog
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfc / Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: 5b
« Reply #66 on: 2021-06-06, 08:01:29 AM »
I have several between 5 and 10 probably "mospermia" squash growing. The seed from Joseph was sent to me before they were commonly called mospermia. Very vigorous seedlings with large leaves for seedlings. Should be very interesting.

Joseph's tastiest maxima squash planted nearby.

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: 2021-09-23, 07:12:28 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CS---48LeTG/?utm_medium=copy_link

C. moschata with the C. maxima yellow B gene.

Vines/Tendrils appear to be yellow. Some markings on the leaves can be yellow as well.

William Schlegel

• Botanist, gardener, and science teacher.
    • View Profile
    • William's Instagram which is not set to public so message me if you want added
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
« Reply #68 on: 2022-05-11, 08:38:44 PM »
Found my original packet of leftover Tetsukabuto F1 seeds so I planted them today with Moschata squashes Guatemalan Green Ayote, Autumn's Choice G3, Lofthouse, and the Grex from Mike that included some cool Thai squash though I let it cross with others.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days