Author Topic: Interspecies squash hybrids  (Read 496 times)

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
  • Great Basin desert, Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
    • Email
Re: Interspecies squash hybrids
« Reply #15 on: 2019-12-04, 07:42:55 AM »
It's interesting that the flesh is pale colored like the Pepo parent.   That alone is pretty unusual in any kind of winter squash.   I guess in an F1 cross that means white is dominant in the flesh color, or is the color a QTL and will produce many shades?   Growouts are always fun. ;)

The argyrospermas that I have grown have pale colored flesh.

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2019-12-05, 09:04:27 AM »
...One of the things that is a little sad to me is not having endless space for new projects. Also having to choose which of a number of deserving projects get attention in a given year.
Yea, that is a bit of a bummer and big part of why I've decided to focus on fewer things. Those being the ones I've had best luck with in recent years and or that we like the best. The more diversity the better, no doubt in my mind about that not just within a crop but in the number of different ones. I just don't have the space for it.

Chance

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2019-12-07, 09:13:37 AM »
Joseph, what’s your take on Ferdzy’s squash, see any telltale signs of cushaw to your eye?  Maybe plant one by your mospermias....

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
  • Great Basin desert, Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: 2019-12-08, 05:24:45 PM »
Joseph, what’s your take on Ferdzy’s squash, see any telltale signs of cushaw to your eye? 

The description of the taste, and the color of the flesh are consistent with argyrosperma parentage. The fruit shape, and stripes on the fruits are reminiscent of argyrosperma. I'm cussing the low-resolution photos that this forum imposes, otherwise I'd look for traits in the peduncles.

I am unfamiliar with 'wartiness' among argyrosperma. Don't know where that trait came from.

The fruit sure seems to be filled with viable looking seeds. I'm not used to seeing that in early generations of interspecies hybrids. I'm used to few viable seeds. Finding and using varieties that combine well together seems to be one of the secrets to successful interspecies hybridization.
« Last Edit: 2019-12-08, 05:40:52 PM by Joseph Lofthouse »

Ferdzy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 08:51:58 AM »
Here's a better photo of the stems, better being a relative term I'm afraid. They look pretty pepo-ish to me but you would know much better - I haven't spent that much time looking at various squash.