Author Topic: Interspecies squash hybrids  (Read 178 times)

William S.

• View Profile
Interspecies squash hybrids
« on: 2019-09-28, 04:28:20 PM »
Spent some time looking at Josephs squash ID guide. http://garden.lofthouse.com/how-to-identify-squash.phtml

This year I grew intentionally maxima squash, pepo squash, moschata squash and two interspecies hybrids from Joseph Mospermia and Maximoss. Though I used much of my maximoss seed last year, a few grew again this year, possibly because I mixed some in with the mospermia last year then never got it planted and last year's grew at least well enough to contaminate my maxima a little.

I also grew a Thai cross moschata from Mike a hybrid Moschata from Territorial called Autumn's Choice, and a old land race called Rancho Marques. All with some moschata characteristics.

I think that the thai cross squash from Mike might be an example of ancient mospermia. Also the Rancho Marques but it didn't produce a fruit for me. Also the Autumn's choice I think may in fact be a more modern Mospermia type. It's leaves look maple like and the fruits have that interesting pattern of yellow and green bands.  My actual mospermia and maximoss look like they should. The Mospermia tend toward moschata peducles. I see one small squash that looks just like a tetsukabuto. Though mostly I think that my maxima grex has just a little maximoss contamination now. Which is fine. There is one mospermia fruit that looks like Autumn's choice.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian silty clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Diane Whitehead

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Interspecies squash hybrids
« Reply #1 on: 2019-09-29, 07:28:48 PM »
I guess maximoss is a hybrid between maxima and moschata.

But what is mospermia?
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-09-29, 08:20:13 PM »
Joseph's name for his strain of Moschata x Agrosperma (mixta).
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian silty clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Ferdzy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-10-23, 06:16:00 PM »
We ended up being a bit short on zucchini seed this year, so we planted some old ones we had saved in 2013, from Lebanese White Bush (pepo). What we got was not LWB, not too surprisingly. We got a couple of vines that ran absolutely rampant. The squash were not nice as zucchini, as they grew fast and filled up with seeds almost instantly. One (the smooth skinned one) is probably just some random pepo cross of no distinction. It already has a couple of bad spots on it.

The other one, though; that one looks like a cross between LWB and Tennessee Sweet Potato (a mixta/argyrosperma). Haven't eaten any of them as mature squash yet. They seem amazingly solid and I think I may have to take an axe to them to break them open. Dunno what I think of them; unless they are marvelous (unlikely) I don't think we will grow them out again. If they have viable seed I assume they will have crossed with other pepo squashes grown this year.

Diane Whitehead

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2019-10-23, 07:12:53 PM »
Well, I guess you could eat the seeds so the plants' efforts won't have been completely unappreciated.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Ferdzy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2019-10-23, 07:29:46 PM »
We usually do, unless they have very tough skins. Which, given how tough the outsides are, might be possible. I'll post again once we've cracked one open.