Author Topic: Big Feesh Pepper project  (Read 76 times)

WayneA

• View Profile
    • Email
Big Feesh Pepper project
« on: 2019-09-25, 12:12:54 AM »
I thought Iíd share a little about a project Iíve got in the planning phases (and hopefully get some thoughts). One of my favourite peppers has always been Fish. For those unfamiliar with it, Fish is a variegated Capsicum annum race which has the unusual quality of also producing highly attractive variegated pods (in contrast to other variegated varieties)                         .
Fish

Fish

Fish

Fish

My plan (such as it is is) is to grow Fish next year together with an array of other Capsicum annum varieties in more commercially traditional forms specifically:

Jalapenos Cracked (or another Jalapeno variety)
A long pointed sweet pepper variety that is grown locally (think corno di torro or something similar)
Padron

The long term goal is to cross these and put the variegation and specifically the pod variegation into plants which ultimately otherwise resemble the other parent (ie producing attractive stripey jalapenos, padrons and sweet peppers).

Fish typically produces a mix of variegated and non-variegated seedlings so Iím assuming the F1s will be non-variegated and the variegation is recessive. Iím hoping therefore that I can grow out a load of F1s, collect selfed seed of anything Iím happy with podwise, germinate a load of F2s and hopefully then identify at a relatively early age any variegated plants and only grow these out. If thatís right Iím hoping I can cut down my growouts pretty quickly. If the variegation gene is inherited the way I think I could hopefully get to a point of having variegated f4s that are 25% fish, 75% the other varieties pretty quickly (perhaps 2 seasons with the benefit of the greenhouse). Any and all thoughts gratefully receivedÖ.

Walt

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Big Feesh Pepper project
« Reply #1 on: 2019-09-25, 12:50:17 AM »
Seems like You could get the 75% Fish in 2 seasons.  One cross, then backcross to fish and you should have it.  Mostbackcross would look and taste much like fish.  Some may be much hotter than fish, depending on the other parent.
The 25% fish population would take an extra season.  Make the F1, Backcross to the non-fish parent.  Then self the 25% fish seedlings to get the varigation.
Good luck with this.

Doro

• Všrmland, Sweden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-09-25, 12:59:25 AM »
Fish Pepper is a great variety for breeding. I have done some crosses with it and with other variegated varieties and the Fish Pepper crosses were always so much better in taste.

Variegation is indeed recessive, 1 in 4 plants of the F2 will be variegated. In addition not all variegated plants will have good stripes on the fruit too. They have varying degrees of expression.

When you are looking for thicker walled crosses or bigger fruit, those are recessive traits too.

Culling the green leafed F2 early is a good method to save space.

I grew out 15 variegated F2 plants this year. Didn't have room for more. None of them had the second fruit feature I was looking for :P breeding statistics are one thing and breeders luck is another. Wasn't lucky this year, but I'll try again next year.

WayneA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2019-09-25, 08:53:47 AM »
Fish Pepper is a great variety for breeding. I have done some crosses with it and with other variegated varieties and the Fish Pepper crosses were always so much better in taste.

Variegation is indeed recessive, 1 in 4 plants of the F2 will be variegated. In addition not all variegated plants will have good stripes on the fruit too. They have varying degrees of expression.

When you are looking for thicker walled crosses or bigger fruit, those are recessive traits too.

Thanks Doro - that is really helpful to hear. I think it will in essence be a numbers game but the nice thing about the varieties I'm working with is if I get something close to fish in terms of fruit; well that'll be OK but any movement towards the fruit type of the other parent will be a success for me however gradual....I can in theory at least just keep making crosses using my fish decendents until hopefully I win the numbers game and then try and stabilise. On the basis everything I want is recessive I'm hoping stabilisation at least should be Ok once I've got one that does what I want!

I know what you mean regarding not all plants showing the striping too - I've noticed there are varying qualities of Fish strain out there. I think some growers are more selective than others about what leaves them as Fish.