Author Topic: Planting nectarine pits  (Read 368 times)

Lauren

• Utah, USA, 4000 ft
    • View Profile
Planting nectarine pits
« on: 2019-09-18, 11:54:17 AM »
We've always had pit grown peaches, but my nectarine tree is apparently dying so I'm trying nectarine pits.

The shells are apparently hard for the seedlings to crack, so to try to make sure I get trees I cracked half. Now I have a pile of fresh nectarine seeds. The question is, when should I plant them? I'm confident that the whole seeds could be planted now, but should be others be planted after the first frost? They'll be planted in big pots, not in the ground as I've always planted peaches.

Walk

• View Profile
Re: Planting nectarine pits
« Reply #1 on: 2019-09-19, 06:41:21 AM »
My experience has only been with Siberian peaches and apricots. We've always had the best success with planting the pits right away, directly into a nursery bed in the garden (in SE Minnesota). One year we carefully planted pits in pots, ran out of pots so put some in trays, ran out of trays and dumped the rest next to the compost heap. The pots/trays were put in the root cellar over the winter. Only 1 pit sprouted from the pots/trays, but there was a whole clump of sprouts from the compost. David Cavagnaro from Seed Savers (in NE Iowa) told me that he had the same experience, and that has been the way we've done it ever since.

Lauren

• Utah, USA, 4000 ft
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-09-19, 08:06:54 AM »
I have planted them mostly in the ground previously, but this year the big pots along the fence (destined to hold some of these nectarine trees) are empty so I decided to plant them in place. They'll be in the weather and with the same soil so should have the same germination success as they would have had in the ground. My main concern is whether the insects will find the shelled kernels before the cold hits.

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2019-09-21, 11:16:40 PM »
Ive always had the best success sowing nectarine pits in pots in autumn and leaving pots out in the winter frosts, but then as Walk pointed out there's something about compost heaps and the huge number of seedlings that seem to germinate.
Changeable year round climate, less so summertime, warming winters - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps.