Author Topic: Pledging new tomatoes questions  (Read 33 times)

William S.

• View Profile
Pledging new tomatoes questions
« on: 2019-09-13, 07:20:38 PM »
Let's say you have a promising new F2 tomato.

You ultimately want this to be a OSSI pledged tomato. You give away a lot of surplus tomatoes at the office. You explain these tomatoes are all segregating F2s. Someone says "maybe I should save some seed from them". You say sure that's a great idea...

We've previously discussed pledging germ plasm early. What if I pledge a tomato and then it's F3 is boring and I want to throw it all away?

How to get the germ plasm pledged?

When I work with a cross using a previously pledged variety like Joseph's Big Hill it's already protected by the pledge right?

However pledging is in part a offer of material. What if I routinely want to share germ plasma with just 4 or 5 people a year?

Say you want to pledge your grex, but also massively change it for next year. Wait to pledge or pledge now?

What about sharing material with potential crosses?
« Last Edit: 2019-09-13, 07:29:37 PM by William S. »
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A

bill

• Administrator
  • USA, WA Coast
    • View Profile
    • Cultivariable
Re: Pledging new tomatoes questions
« Reply #1 on: 2019-09-14, 11:48:04 PM »
Before we will accept material, it generally must be available.  So, if you are just sharing it with a few people and don't plan to sell it or otherwise make it available to the public, it isn't really pledgable.  If you are planning to make it widely available, then you can pledge an F2.  We accept all kinds of genetically diverse breeding materials.

Any derivatives of a pledged variety are automatically pledged, but if you release something to the public, it would be helpful if you also went through the process to pledge it formally and get it on the website.