Author Topic: Viability of green tomato seeds  (Read 62 times)

Ocimum

• View Profile
    • Email
Viability of green tomato seeds
« on: 2019-09-10, 06:28:11 AM »
How early can I harvest tomatoes so the seeds are still viable?
Is the mature size enough? Is a slight color change enough?

I know, ripe is best. But I will be travelling when they are ripe.

I crossed some tomatoes with something like "coyote", and it would be disappointing if they did not survive. My goal are some bigger tomatoes which still stand Phytophtora as well as "coyote".

Lauren

• Utah, USA, 4000 ft
    • View Profile
Re: Viability of green tomato seeds
« Reply #1 on: 2019-09-10, 10:25:16 AM »
Maybe consider putting a bag around your "seed" tomatoes so they drop into the bag and you can harvest them when you return? Or harvest them green. If they're starting to turn they'll ripen just fine inside.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-09-10, 06:26:02 PM »
When tomatoes are mature but green they are a different color of green. If there is a slight blush go ahead. Do let the tomato fully ripen before fermenting the seed though if you can.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A

Ocimum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2019-09-11, 02:32:55 AM »
Ok, thanks.
It's always difficult to ask someone to do stuff like this for me.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-09-11, 09:11:57 PM »
Yeah, last summer I would leave for a work trip and take my seed saving tomatoes with me for evenings. My son is enough of a handful to leave behind for my wife. However had a work trailer I towed out. This year I'm doing something similar. Just rinsed about 7 little batches. Have one domestic ripening and all the half wilds and wilds ripening.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A