Author Topic: Breeding for high carotenoid corn  (Read 67 times)

Troppo

• View Profile
Breeding for high carotenoid corn
« on: 2019-09-09, 03:17:37 AM »
Hi everyone, Iím wanting to start a corn project breeding a high carotenoid flinty landrace. Unfortunately being in Oz I donít have access to any of the landraces currently being bred in the US such as the ones bred by Joseph Lofthouse and Oxbow.

My plan was to contact the Australian Genebank and see if I could find some high carotenoid germplasm. I was wondering if anyone new of any lines and/or PI accession numbers for high carotenoid lines to make my search a bit easier?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Breeding for high carotenoid corn
« Reply #1 on: 2019-09-09, 05:08:33 PM »
Hi everyone, Iím wanting to start a corn project breeding a high carotenoid flinty landrace. Unfortunately being in Oz I donít have access to any of the landraces currently being bred in the US such as the ones bred by Joseph Lofthouse and Oxbow.

My plan was to contact the Australian Genebank and see if I could find some high carotenoid germplasm. I was wondering if anyone new of any lines and/or PI accession numbers for high carotenoid lines to make my search a bit easier?

Thanks in advance.

Not offhand, though I am curious if the Australian genebank has some of the same accesions the usda genebank or others have. (Even if older ones). Assuming that it does your idea isn't a half bad one. I think Joseph's high carotene corn came from a south American corn.

Though some of the other members from OZ might already know of a source.