Author Topic: one unique corn ear  (Read 122 times)

Spero

• View Profile
    • Email
one unique corn ear
« on: 2019-09-04, 08:16:59 PM »
I have been selecting for an orange sweet corn . One population was created pollinating Zdrowie (orange flint) with my Tuxana (white su) then pollinating that cross with High Carotene (yellow su) corn from Joseph Lofthouse. All but one ear are what you would expect, a mixture of wrinkled and smooth kernels and also of yellows and orange colors. But one ear is different. All orange (some variation in shade), luminous like glass gem or some popcorns - it looks kind of like popcorn - no wrinkled kernels.  What is going on ? Should I grow seeds from this one ear out in isolation or keep it as a row and pollinate it with another sweeter line ?

Ocimum

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: one unique corn ear
« Reply #1 on: 2019-09-05, 08:08:45 AM »
The sweet (in other words, wrinkled kernels) is recessive. Maybe one kernel in your F1 was selfed, and not a true F1.

Have you enough orange wrinkled kernels to start your population?

Spero

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2019-09-05, 09:27:41 AM »
There was nothing like this one ear in any parent that I saw. It is unlikely the Zdrowie selfed as it has been pretty carefully detasseled. as I grow the different parent in a field where I sell the OP for seed.
As to kernels, I am still also choosing "hard" but very orange kernels which have to be hetero for su. I will be crossing it with something sweeter next year.  I may also grow out the single plant in a different place.

Ocimum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2019-09-06, 11:45:45 AM »
Do you know of the different types of corn?

Amylacea
Certina
Indentata
Indurata
Everta
Everta globuli
Saccharata
Tunicata

Can you describe it with this kind of description?
(Although every author describes them differently)

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-09-06, 02:26:36 PM »
I know them as:

Pop
Pod
Dent
Flint
Sweet
Flour

I think I learned them from native seed search

https://www.nativeseeds.org/blogs/blog-news/types-of-corn

Also some authors include waxy as a seventh type, Amylomaize as an eighth, and striped corn as a ninth.

This article lists some of them with the names you mentioned but not all 8 you listed. https://www2.kenyon.edu/projects/farmschool/food/corntyp.htm

Yea olde wikipedia has the whole lot of names as follows:

"Flour corn: Zea mays var. amylacea
Popcorn: Zea mays var. everta
Dent corn : Zea mays var. indentata
Flint corn: Zea mays var. indurata
Sweet corn: Zea mays var. saccharata and Zea mays var. rugosa
Waxy corn: Zea mays var. ceratina
Amylomaize: Zea mays
Pod corn: Zea mays var. tunicata Larraņaga ex A. St. Hil.
Striped maize: Zea mays var. japonica"
« Last Edit: 2019-09-06, 02:43:43 PM by William S. »
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2019-09-06, 07:35:21 PM »
The ear pictured looks to me like a flint. Your description also sounds like flint. I couldn't guess how it happened, I'm not that up on inheritance of of endosperm type but it is a nice looking ear.

You might, if you want, grow it out in isolation and see if you get the start of an orange flint. If interest is just in an orange sweet then I would keep it for it's strong color but pollinate it with my other orange sweet and then select for the dark orange sweet kernels that would likely show up.

O' I just reread this
The sweet (in other words, wrinkled kernels) is recessive. Maybe one kernel in your F1 was selfed, and not a true F1.
If that's the case you might grow it in isolation and self it. Maybe the recessive wrinkled kernels and the intense orange color would reveal themselves together in some kernels.  You could go on from there either as it's own variety or mix it back into your other population.
« Last Edit: 2019-09-06, 07:41:11 PM by reed »

Spero

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2019-09-08, 12:12:38 PM »
Thanks all, and thanks for the common names (flour, flint, pop, etc.) as I did not know the more formal names. It definitely looks flinty, and the mother parent was a flint. But kernels are smaller and glossier than either parent.  It looks like it could pop. With one ear only I do not want to waste it trying to make it pop.  My current plan is to take half the kernels and grow them in an isolation, not self but mate siblings, and the other half to cross over with a sweet, which I plan to do also with the selected orange kernels from the rest of the population.  As long as I de-tassel I can grow as many lines as I want.