Author Topic: Tepary Beans  (Read 1430 times)

Lauren

• Utah, USA, 4000 ft
    • View Profile
Re: Tepary Beans
« Reply #15 on: 2019-09-22, 08:49:11 AM »
I don't notice issues with day-length sensitivity in my tepary beans. Any with that issue would have self-culled in the first generation. My current seed lot of teparies have a lot of segregating hybrids. They've been fun to grow. They are already dried down, except that it rained on them the past two days.
Which is pretty much what I expected, but it didn't happen. I doubt the beans will get a chance to mature, but it's possible. Maybe I'll find some when I take out the plants. The plants themselves are doing amazing with no water except the recent rains. I've got to get seeds from something or I'll never get that 2nd generation. I guess keep trying until I run out of seeds.

Lauren

• Utah, USA, 4000 ft
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2019-10-23, 07:50:05 PM »
I may have found it. An article I just read said that tepary beans NEED drought in order to flower and set seed. Although they weren't watered, and the plants were big and beautiful, there must have been too much water under the mulch until late in the season. Something to try next year--pull the mulch off when I want them to flower.

No seeds this year. Try again next year.

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2019-11-02, 07:01:37 AM »
I'v never seen a tepary bean but think I'll get some and give em a try. If hot dry is what they like, most summers here might accommodate that.

Steve1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2019-11-06, 03:08:04 AM »
I'v never seen a tepary bean but think I'll get some and give em a try. If hot dry is what they like, most summers here might accommodate that.

Hi Lauren,
Not my experience with them - but my lines probsbly differ to yours. Mine flowered and produced beans in a glasshouse, irrigated daily. They were way too well watered.
Maybe try and can get as many different lines as you can and plant them all - surely one has to work.

One question here, does anyone plant then with rhizobia inoculant? If so, what strain?
I'm going to plant a few tomorrow and check germination,

Cheers
Steve

Diane Whitehead

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: 2019-11-06, 11:10:14 AM »

Native Seeds Search offer 21 kinds of teparies, plus 3 kinds only for members.

https://www.nativeseeds.org/collections/tepary-beans
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil