Author Topic: Can anyone give me information on embryo rescue?  (Read 110 times)

Lauren

• Utah, USA, 4000 ft
    • View Profile
Can anyone give me information on embryo rescue?
« on: 2019-08-16, 08:40:05 AM »
I keep seeing mentions of embryo rescue. An online search produced more confusion.

Can anyone give me a brief, non-technical rundown of the processes used?

William S.

• View Profile
Re: Can anyone give me information on embryo rescue?
« Reply #1 on: 2019-08-16, 10:22:01 AM »
Hmm, don't have enough time to give much right now.

I've only done it once successfully in a class on a wheat seed. Basically you detach the embryo when the seed is partially mature and grow it in a petri dish on a gelatin like agar media with sugar and all plant nutrients.

Some inter species crosses have reproductive barriers where the embryo develops but then cannot survive in the resulting seed. So by opening the immature seed we can get a plant from a cross that we wouldn't otherwise be able to make.
« Last Edit: 2019-08-16, 08:17:08 PM by William S. »
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A

bill

• Administrator
  • USA, WA Coast
    • View Profile
    • Cultivariable
« Reply #2 on: 2019-08-17, 11:36:32 PM »
The main problem that occurs in wide crosses is that the endosperm fails to develop.  So, a viable embryo is produced, but there is no endosperm to feed it and allow it to grow.  So, the trick is to remove the embryo once it has developed sufficiently but before it needs to draw on the endosperm.  You can then grow the embryo on a medium that includes all the nutrients that would normally be provided by the endosperm.  It is a pretty straightforward process, but dissecting out the embryo can be very difficult in species with small seeds.

Lauren

• Utah, USA, 4000 ft
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-08-18, 09:54:57 AM »
Interesting. How can you tell when the embryo reaches that stage? Or is this after the seed has been "planted" and the plant germinates?

bill

• Administrator
  • USA, WA Coast
    • View Profile
    • Cultivariable
« Reply #4 on: 2019-08-18, 10:22:25 AM »
There is no general solution - it is always determined experimentally.  It usually must be done before the seed is mature.  You start just before maturity and work your way back until you get success.  For more common species, the optimum age has probably already been determined and you can look it up.