Author Topic: Pea ĎJoniís Taxií  (Read 637 times)

whwoz

• View Profile
Re: Pea ĎJoniís Taxií
« Reply #15 on: 2019-11-07, 05:32:19 PM »
and for a comparison,  here is another cross by Gregg M, one that he calls Heather. It is a purple podded variety,  has recovered from the sparrows quicker than JT, flowered and produced pods earlier.  Son is not as keen on this one compared to JT, daughter prefers this one.  Hard to say how much is taste and how much colour choice is influencing them, as daughter loves the colour Purple, son not so keen on it, typical child reaction for their ages.

Photos are pod, leaf axil and flower.  Foliage and stem much darker than JT.

whwoz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2019-11-22, 05:35:34 PM »
A further update on the taste of JT and Heather:

JT is liked by all here and does not appear to have any fiber in it at all.  Planted around 30 seeds, lost a few to sparrow damage.  Will be aiming to plant somewhere around 100 seeds next year, maybe a few more depending upon how quickly I can get the bird free enclosure built.

Heather:  loved by Daughter, liked by myself tolerated by Mrs and not liked by son.  Has a degree of fiber in semi-mature to mature pods, which inflate fully as seeds mature.  Will be aiming to plant around the same as this year, about 40 seeds, maybe a few more.  Definitely needs more work whereas to my way of thinking JT is a marketable pea as is

galina

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2019-11-23, 02:18:46 AM »
How does the pod of JT compare size wise?  How I wish we could actively grow peas right now.  Thank you for keeping our pea yearning during these winter days satisfied with your delightful photos whwozz
Central England, cool, maritime (ish), cloudy, often dry, but recent weather unpredictable

whwoz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2019-11-23, 12:03:19 PM »
Hopefully the attached photos won't be to bad, shot out and took them around 8:30 pm last night.  Joni's Taxi seem to be growing to around the 120 - 130mm mark, first pod curled slightly.  Heather typically 85 to 100mm

gmuller

• Bendigo, Australia. 515mm rain - if we are lucky
    • View Profile
    • Useful Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: 2019-11-23, 02:17:28 PM »
Hi folks sorry for the long delay in posting - rearranging my life and location over the past few months.
Much of the development work for Jonis and Heather is documented on my blog TempletonsMendelania.

The original cross was probably Yakumo with Golden Podded. I can't be too sure - the labels came off the parent snow pea. and I had a number of different snow peas growing at the time.
I grew it out to around F5 or F6, progressively selecting out the plants for bigger pods and yellow and low fibre. I still have all the parent lines somewhere in the seed fridges. In Whwoz's second pic above you can see the long slender pods that characterise this variety. I would love to get the wide pod genes in there and make a truely large yellow snow.. I did make another selection at the same time I selected out Joni's - Pixie Moon, which is a sibling variety but with longer, curved bracts - I can't remember if it has the wider pods.
I've got a few targets still to work on for this project, but was pretty chuffed to find the long pedicels holding the pods out. Most commercial varieties have really short peds, which hides the pods in the foliage - might be OK for commercial harvests, but for hand picking you need the pods easy to find. I moved to my new garden too late to sow this year, but the coming year should see more advances. I really want to improve low fibre and pod size in my purples.
If anyone has any more questions feel free to ask.

PS I'm pretty stoked to have people growing and enjoying Joni's - I thought it was an improvement over Golden Sweet, good to hear others find it so too.
Gregg
« Last Edit: 2019-11-23, 07:24:27 PM by gmuller »

galina

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2019-11-24, 12:51:25 AM »
Thank you both for the photos and for the history and description.  These are very lovely peas, especially JT. 

Gmuller it is possible to get the width.  But I have not quite got the length with  CEG,  But a further cross with Bijou looks promising for length too.

I have attached a photo of Court Estate Gold and of Golden Sweet.  The pollen parent was Schweizer Riesen aka Swiss Giant.   
Central England, cool, maritime (ish), cloudy, often dry, but recent weather unpredictable

gmuller

• Bendigo, Australia. 515mm rain - if we are lucky
    • View Profile
    • Useful Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: 2019-11-24, 01:15:55 PM »
Galina,
Swiss Giant has never done really well for me the few times I've grown it. Good luck with your progress.
G