Author Topic: Sweet Corn  (Read 391 times)

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
Sweet Corn
« on: 2020-01-28, 05:13:26 AM »
I have a couple pounds or more of sweet corn accumulated over last five or so years that I do not need as I'v decided not to grow sweet corn anymore.

It is very mixed up including maybe fifty or more kinds of flint and flour types. I'm putting it here in the OSSI because it includes genetics from Carols's flint and flour varieties. It also has Painted Mountain, Joseph's AD and Joseph's Harmony as well as lots more modern sweet F1s and lots more heirloom su types. The flint and flour types were detasseled in the first year(s) with sweet kernels selected from there. In the last couple years I had been selecting for long ears with 8 - 10 rows of big kernels and yummy flavor but I had not done so nearly long enough to lock in those traits, plus older seed is also in the mix.

I also have some of what I call Neandersweet. It originated when I grew Joseph's Neandercorn, a cross with perennial teosinte beside a patch of a flour corn grex and found about a dozen sweet kernels across four ears of it. A little sweet pollen must have drifted over from the other garden. Anyway I grew those kernels the next year, detasseled and crossed to the above described sweet grex. Because of the multi tillers and ears from the teosinte ancestor I think this might be capable of developing into an indeterminate sweet corn. I'm keeping a little of this seed in case I want to go on with that.

Anyway, if any one is interested in this seed please let me know. I don't want to mess with small packs but instead would like to pass on a minimum of one full cup however much that is weight wise. If someone wanted all of it that would be fine too. I need at least enough (cash) to cover shipping and a little more if your feeling generous. Actually however much it takes to fill a small flat rate box would be a good way to ship it I think.

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
Re: Sweet Corn
« Reply #1 on: 2020-01-28, 09:34:07 PM »
Pity its not allowed into this country otherwise I would have loved to grow it
Changeable year round climate, less so summertime, warming winters - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps.

gmuller

• Bendigo, Australia. 515mm rain - if we are lucky
    • View Profile
    • Useful Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2020-01-30, 12:40:23 AM »
Ditto, Richard.
G

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2020-01-30, 08:58:56 AM »
Don't seem to be much interest here. I'll wait a bit longer then reckon I'll sort out some that I might want to add into my other corn and the rest can go to the critters.

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2020-01-30, 07:08:11 PM »
Im interested in both! I forgot to reply when you offered it up on homegrown. I was quite busy at the time. But,  I'm at least one who is interested. Though I certainly can't take all of it. Hopefully others will chime in as well.

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2020-01-31, 06:06:07 AM »
Im interested in both! I forgot to reply when you offered it up on homegrown. I was quite busy at the time. But,  I'm at least one who is interested. Though I certainly can't take all of it. Hopefully others will chime in as well.
Good deal, I'll run by the post office today and see if I can pick up some shipping boxes. Send me your address in a message. Glad this won't all go to waste.
« Last Edit: 2020-01-31, 06:09:49 AM by reed »