Author Topic: Amish Butter Popcorn Crossing  (Read 140 times)

Jerryrva

• View Profile
Amish Butter Popcorn Crossing
« on: 2019-08-07, 11:41:03 AM »
So I am planning ahead for next year.  Planning to do some crosses with Amish Butter aka Pennsylvania Butter Flavored as the  female. I am curious why no one  has cleaned up that line  as it has pearl andp rice kernels. I get more pearl types growing them  in my garden.
Anyone have an in depth history on this old heirloom? I haven't decided what I want to cross it with yet. I'd like to get an orange well flavored popcorn.

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Amish Butter Popcorn Crossing
« Reply #1 on: 2019-08-07, 12:31:17 PM »
I've never heard of it, is it like country gentleman a shoepeg corn? I'm not very familiar with the Amish or Eastern US heirlooms.

Joseph has some nice deep orange popcorn that might be good to use.

Jerryrva

• View Profile
Re: Amish Butter Popcorn Crossing
« Reply #2 on: 2019-08-07, 01:20:07 PM »
It's about the only heirloom popcorn mentioned in books like "Beautiful Corn". In fact that guy has spent some time selecting from it those plants that do well in the Pacific Northwest. However, he choose to keep both kernel types in his selecting. I find that it lodges so I'd like to fix that as well.
Severson Organics in Illinois grows it on a large scale enough to offer it in 50lb bags and makes a good meal as well as a unique tasting popcorn.
4 to 6 inch ears, 2 per 6-8 foot stalks. A tough one to hand shell.