Author Topic: Wild Raspberries (need help from Arizona / New Mexico!)  (Read 146 times)

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi all! I've just discovered a wild species of Raspberry native to my area called Rubus deliciosus. I only had 1 berry fruit when I tracked down a specimen at a local-ish nursery and have gone crazy for wild raspberry species since! It really was THAT good! It was the best raspberry I've ever eaten in my life.

So, hence begins my quest to use it as the basis for a long term breeding project to improve it, yet retain it's flavor,  color, and drought tolerant properties that imbune it to doing well in my western region / arid climate.

In fact I went on a wild germplasm gathering trip today in Fort Collins and failed to locate any,  but located a wild and very tasty gooseberry by accident instead. So I collected a few samples.

Anyway,  I need some help from those who live in Arizona or New Mexico. From past projects I have learned how wide genetic diversity can be key to successful breeding projects.  Therefore I am gathering other wild raspberry species,  with a particular emphasis on those closely related to Rubus deliciosus.

Up till now I have not been able to find anyone willing to ship me a sample of Rubus neomexicanus the New Mexico Raspberry to Colorado. It may even be a sub species of Rubus deliciosus.

I am also hoping to get a plant or sees of Rubus bartonianus from Idaho. I suspect it is closely related.

A similar and nonspecific species from south America is called Rubus trilobus, and while I don't believe I can find a source for it there is a hybrid of it with R. Deliciosus sold in Washington and highly popular in the UK. I have already purchased one of these.

I have gotten a specimen of Rubus odoratus from Zach Elfers and I am working on rooting a cutting of R. deliciosus in trade. Thank you!

I am still waiting on Rubus spectabilis from Alaska.
« Last Edit: 2019-08-02, 02:20:13 PM by Andrew Barney »

Diane Whitehead

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wild Raspberries (need help from Arizona / New Mexico!)
« Reply #1 on: 2019-08-02, 08:20:59 PM »
My half acre has a lot of native fruits on it, including four Rubus:

Salmonberry.   R spectabilis
Blackcap  R leucodermis
Thimbleberry. R parviflorus
Trailing blackberry  R ursinus

Ursinus has the smallest berries, but the best flavour.

Plus, of course, the introduced Himalayan blackberry - R discolor
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2019-08-02, 09:09:36 PM »
Well,  my salmon berry source may have fell through. So, I might be interested in Rubus spectabilis and perhaps Rubus parviflorus thimbleberry.

Diane Whitehead

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2019-08-02, 09:48:43 PM »
Perhaps you'd like pollen.  Then you could get started on your hybridizing immediately.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil