Author Topic: Carouby de Maussane x Amish Snap Peas  (Read 113 times)

Ferdzy

• View Profile
Carouby de Maussane x Amish Snap Peas
« on: 2019-07-28, 06:21:59 PM »
A few years back I got interested in trying to cross these two peas to create the perfect pea - edible at every stage of development: as a snow pea, a snap pea, and a shelled pea. My conclusion was that I was not successful.

This year I planted a bunch of what I thought were saved Carouby de Maussane snow peas. They are not. I believe they are the result of this cross. We ate a bunch for dinner and I was quite impressed: large, tender pods with semi-developed peas in them that mingled the flavours of snow peas and shelled peas. I think the secret is that you just have to go ahead and eat them, even though they look kind of weird, which means that probably nobody but me will be much interested in them. And, I hope, you lot of oddballs and kooks.

Have I attached a picture? I'm trying to attach a picture.

Ferdzy

• View Profile
Re: Carouby de Maussane x Amish Snap Peas
« Reply #1 on: 2019-07-28, 06:25:26 PM »
Ah! Excellent.

On the upper left you have some Carouby de Maussane. On the upper right you have some Amish Snap. On the bottom you have a variety of the offspring, different plants, different stages of development. They are all a bit paler green than I would like, but ho-hum. Also photo was taken at dusk. I have adjusted the light and colours but they may not be that accurate.

galina

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-08-03, 02:20:22 AM »
Excellent Ferdzy,

just remember that what you have right now is the F1 generation and the real diversity only starts showing in the F2 and later ones.  The paleness definitely comes from Amish Snap.  I am surprised that they are not more uniform, as F1s should be.  Maybe only some are crossed if they came from a packet labelled CdM. 

I expect in the F2 generation you will get a quarter snaps.  Do keep us updated please how the F2 goes.
Central England, cool, maritime (ish), cloudy, often dry, but recent weather unpredictable

Ferdzy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-08-03, 05:17:54 AM »
Actually, Galina, I think these are f3s, hence the reasonable degree of uniformity. At least that's what I had listed in my seed inventory and it sounds right.

I have a vague recollection of a year of growing out some weird all-over-the-place plants, and only saving the seeds from a couple of the best plants. I think that then I was a bit put-off by how mediocre most of the plants were, and also I had planted them too close together (spaaaace!) and had a hard time sorting through them.  I set the project aside for a couple of years and forgot about them. Now that I am just growing the one (or two) best results, they are reasonably uniform and very nice quality, and I have gotten excited about them again.

Not sure they have any commercial qualities as they are a kind of ugly ducklings and seem large and coarse. Well, they are large, just very tender with it but it's an unexpected combination.

galina

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-08-04, 01:53:09 AM »
A lucky find.  I am very surprised you had no snaps at all though.  Unless you selected against them previously.  Yes I know about too close spacing.  Space is at premium for most of us. 

The other problem is marking mixed populations if they are closely spaced and we cannot separate individual plants.  Multicoloured bits of wool works quite well and a notebook which tells me the meaning of red wool, blue wool etc.  It is surprising how fast flowers go and by the time seeds can be harvested pods are no longer in their prime either.

Central England, cool, maritime (ish), cloudy, often dry, but recent weather unpredictable

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2019-08-05, 05:55:23 AM »
Pretty cool.  Amish snap never would grow well in my climate so it self selected out of my yard after 3 years of attempts. Though I have thought about using Carouby / Bijou / Green Beauty in some nice crosses (with snaps or snows).

galina

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2019-08-05, 08:39:53 AM »
Pretty cool.  Amish snap never would grow well in my climate so it self selected out of my yard after 3 years of attempts. Though I have thought about using Carouby / Bijou / Green Beauty in some nice crosses (with snaps or snows).

Opal Creek is the snap that is supposed to be good for hotter climates.  Maybe this will give you more joy than Amish Snap.  We had a hot spell (unusual for England) and Magnolia Blossom has held up well in the heat too (max 39C on one day).