Author Topic: Solanum pimpinellifolium crosses  (Read 448 times)

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
Solanum pimpinellifolium crosses
« on: 2019-07-03, 02:45:52 PM »
I'v mentioned these before but there are some especially interesting ones  this year so I thought I'd give them their own thread and put up some pictures. I'v let Solanum pimpinellifolium grow wild for a long time and about 5 maybe 6 years ago some weird ones showed up, bigger fruits and range of colors and flavor. Anyway below is a new one this year. Sure hope it tastes good cause not all of them do. These pic are of the same plant, it is actually one of four. Two have these kinda pear shaped and little bit lobed fruits the other two look pretty much the same but round. All are volunteers, great big spreading vines and have thrived through the rather odd weather this year. Little to no foliage or any other issues and great fruit set. Shouldn't be long till we can see how they taste.

I have no clue what the original cross was. I'm gonna document them well with pictures and if they do taste good save lots of seeds and see if maybe I can sell them on Ebay or Etsy.
« Last Edit: 2019-07-03, 02:50:03 PM by reed »

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Solanum pimpinellifolium crosses
« Reply #1 on: 2019-07-03, 07:51:19 PM »
Wow! That's cool!

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-07-04, 05:51:42 AM »
Andrew some seed you sent me for a pimpinillifolium type seems modestly exserted. I tried to make a cross with it last weekend with a exserted big hill cross as the mother. Flower hasn't dropped yet.

I have a couple plants of Iron Lady, Skykomish, and another whose name escapes me supposed to be blight protected somewhat. Should try crossing something with them. Maybe pimp? Maybe something wild?
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian silty clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-07-18, 03:23:40 AM »
The pimp crosses are ripening up good now.  A round one I was excited about cause the fruits are much larger, size of golf balls or better turned out to be awful, almost tasteless with a texture like an overripe watermelon, yuk!
A pear shaped yellow one is pretty good but no better than gillions of other little yellow tomatoes and a kind of bell shaped one isn't ripe yet.

The one I posted before though is a winner! Taste and texture are very nice, sweet and crunchy, and the plant has shown very little signs of any kind of disease, just a little yellowing here or there on older leaves. It thrived through the cool wet of early June and continues to thrive in the current heat with no slowdown in fruit set. If all the fruits on it ripened at once, I imagine they would easily more than fill a five gallon bucket. This was a volunteer, sure glad I didn't rip it out!

I'll be saving LOTs of these seeds. I guess it was 4 - 5 years ago when the first cross showed up, maybe these are getting close to stable. Even if not I reckon offspring from this plant should have a high % of similar traits.

CORRECTION! I just discovered that there are two of the round fruited plants and one has even larger fruits that are just now starting to ripen. Fingers crossed that they taste better, I culled the other one. 

« Last Edit: 2019-07-18, 06:59:51 AM by reed »