Author Topic: In search of : cucurbita pepo with special attributes  (Read 288 times)

Nicollas

• View Profile
    • Email
In search of : cucurbita pepo with special attributes
« on: 2019-06-14, 12:20:41 PM »
Hi,

i would like to breed some Cucurbita pepo, and was wondering what good cultivars i surely missed. I'm looking for anything that is unusual, i terms of use, growth, fruit quality, etc...

Some examples are, Goldini Zucchini for use as cucumbers, Costata Romanesco for drying, Styrian hulless for edible seeds, bush vs vining vs climbing habits, etc.

Any inputs ?

Thans

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
  • Great Basin desert, Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
    • Email
Re: In search of : cucurbita pepo with special attributes
« Reply #1 on: 2019-06-18, 08:42:39 AM »

Pepo was domesticated twice: Once around Oaxaca, and once in eastern North America. A characteristic of the southern squashes is huge tightly attached stems (jack-o-lantern, zucchini). The North American squash have delicate stems that might even be said to slip (delicata, acorn).

Some pepos have woody skins (spaghetti), while others have soft skin (zucchini).

Then there are the fantastical shapes of the North American gourds. They might come with poisons, so beware.

In my own work with pepos, I'm selecting primarily for more colorful flesh, because I think it tastes better.

Nicollas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2019-06-18, 10:18:31 AM »
Thanks for the input,

do you know if there is an exceptionnal long keeping C. pepo ? that would rival in storage time with other species of the genus?

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
  • Great Basin desert, Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2019-06-18, 12:39:59 PM »
do you know if there is an exceptionnal long keeping C. pepo ? that would rival in storage time with other species of the genus?

These stored for 9 months before I opened them to plant the seeds. I ate some of them.

Diane Whitehead

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2019-06-20, 10:09:00 AM »
Kamo Kamo (syn Kumi Kumi), from New Zealand,  is supposed to be good both as a summer and winter squash.
It develops a very hard shell, so that bodes well for long storage.

I'm growing it this year and will let some mature.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

galina

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2019-06-20, 11:59:21 PM »
Thanks for the input,

6 months for Long Pie.
https://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/search?item=1723

Central England, cool, maritime (ish), cloudy, often dry, but recent weather unpredictable

Nicollas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2019-06-21, 12:25:10 AM »
6-9 keeping months is encouraging

For a dual purpose pepo, Tatume seems promising too

Klaus Brugger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2019-07-27, 12:51:38 PM »
Just some brainstorming:
'Tonda Padana', a variety from Northern Italy that looks similar to 'Kamo Kamo' (which I've never tried) but gets bigger is one of my favorite pepos flavor-wise and stores well.
I crossed it to 'Jack Be Little' (from the other subspecies). Those mini-pumpkins that are actually strange acorn squashes are interesting on their own and are beautiful served as a whole, stuffed (there are quite a few varieties of this type now!). Spaghetti squash of course is another use and there are orange-fleshed ones with much more carotenoids too, 'Orangetti' F1 being the oldest one. Then there's the use of flowers and even young leaves and stems, but I think that's not possible with all varieties (cucurbitacines ...). Row 7 Seed has a new multi-purpose Delicata ('Tetra Squash') that's specifically for blossom and young stem (and young and mature fruit) use. Summer squash with unique fruit shape are 'Gelber Englischer Custard' and 'Yugoslavian Finger Fruit'.

naiku

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2019-07-29, 05:19:24 PM »
6-9 keeping months is encouraging

For a dual purpose pepo, Tatume seems promising too

I've tried Tatume. It was a fascinating squash. The taste at all stages was a lot like zucchini to me, but firmer, and maybe nuttier. It vines all over the place, though. You can layer it. Dark Star zucchini was more prolific and easier for me to eat, however. I think our large zucchini kept longer. The Tatume fruits weren't very big: maybe twice the size of a grapefruit.

Other people who've grown it have had more favorable experiences than I think I've had, however.
« Last Edit: 2019-07-29, 05:25:32 PM by naiku »