Author Topic: How's your weather 2019  (Read 1866 times)

Walt

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How's your weather 2019
« Reply #60 on: 2019-11-02, 06:26:08 PM »
Took my citrus , 81 of them, outside for the day.  I'm bringing them in tonight because it will get down about freezing tonight.  But back out Monday I expect.  I have many florescent and LED lights, but they aren't set up yet.  I'll set them up over the next week or two.

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: 2019-11-03, 10:16:32 AM »
Took my citrus , 81 of them, outside for the day.  I'm bringing them in tonight because it will get down about freezing tonight.  But back out Monday I expect.  I have many florescent and LED lights, but they aren't set up yet.  I'll set them up over the next week or two.
I know of an old mandarin tree not far here that's on the side of a house that has gone through some heavy frosts over the years, ive got a cutting off it growing here. It went through a -15C in 2015, went and had a look at it a few days after and there was no damage, grows lovely fruit every year. Taking a fair bit of careful nursing to get the cutting established 
Changeable year round climate with warming winters - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps.

Walt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: 2019-11-03, 01:18:27 PM »
I think many of mine would have survived several degrees of frost.  Most of them are 1/2 to 1/4 Ponciris,  But just a few days ago we had very warm weather.  I don't know if they have had time to adjust to the cold.
I decided not to bet they could make it.
Next spring they will be grafted onto pure Ponciris, and I'll find out how hardy they are.  But I'll be keeping the origional potted seedlings inside to someday find out how much variation there is in flavor.
In the meantime. I'm trying to locate lots of seeds from  US 852, Taitri, and other 1/2 ponciris that have a good percent zygotic seeds.