Author Topic: How's your weather 2019  (Read 10122 times)

triffid

• Legume fancier. South East England 50.8°N
    • View Profile
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Cfb
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA 9
Re: How's your weather 2019
« Reply #30 on: 2019-08-10, 10:33:07 AM »
Unbelievable coastal gales for this time of year. I fear for my crops  :(
Zone 9a - brown calcareous earth, high natural fertility base-rich loam - coastal maritime climate

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
  • Hardiness Zone: 9
« Reply #31 on: 2019-09-08, 11:20:17 PM »
 The southern hemisphere is starting to enter a very strong Sudden Stratospheric Warming event http://joannenova.com.au/2019/08/rare-sudden-stratospheric-warming-in-the-southern-hemisphere-cold-weather-coming/
How this is going to pan out is anyone's guess but it may not be great for the Camote while being cooler thus more suitable for TGS.
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial shingle

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2019-09-10, 02:35:18 AM »
It's just real real dry here which is great for maturing and drying of sweet potato seeds. Not good for much anything else. Supposed to be some chance of rain in next few days but also supposed to be getting hotter for awhile. It's been pretty pleasant temperature wise for last couple weeks, mid 80s F and down in 60s at night. Yesterday was 94 F and supposed to be hotter in coming days. Very dry air is odd for the Ohio Valley but makes the heat far less oppressive.

Ellendra

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2019-09-10, 11:32:16 AM »
Lots of rain here in southern WI. Reasonably warm weather between storms. This has been one of those years when I'm glad my farm is on such a steep hill. I watched my grandfather's farm get flooded out 3 out of every 5 years, so "not in a flood plain" was on my list of dealbreakers when shopping for land. It may be near-vertical in spots, but it will never flood!

I'm hoping for a late fall to make up for our late spring. I am seeing a weather indicator that I've never seen before: this year all the woolly worms on my property are blonde!
Harsh winters, high winds. Temps on the edge between zones 4 and 5. Steep, north-facing slope. Soil is high in clay and rocks. Fast draining, which is a surprise for clay soil. Indicates a sandy/gravelly layer underneath.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: 2019-09-14, 01:29:11 PM »
Now that we have made it through winter with yet again no snow on ground (4 years in a row) spring is looking like its going to bring extreme weather somewhere in the Southern Hemisphere because of the current very strong SSW that's right at its peak ATM, how its going to pan out weather wise no one knows but they do know that vast amounts of cold air will flow out from Antarctica. They also believe that earths troposphere will cool increasing tropical storm development
https://watchers.news/2019/08/22/southern-hemisphere-sudden-stratospheric-warming-2019/
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial shingle

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2019-09-14, 03:42:14 PM »
I don't know if old maps actually said it or not but concerning the new unknowns of weather, the phrase "here there be monsters" sums it up pretty good, IMO.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: 2019-09-14, 04:26:51 PM »
When compared to the NH these SSW events are rare but its unknow if they are stronger as a result, computer models had the stratosphere above Antarctica at a 110 C deg differential, this is how the polar vortex is looking ATM, very out of shape and on the verge of breaking up.

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2019-09-14, 04:56:45 PM »
Your lucky, at least ya still got one. Ours has practically stopped. Not to be outdone though if last year is an indicator in a couple months we'll have 1/2 a dozen.
« Last Edit: 2019-09-14, 05:02:25 PM by reed »

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: 2019-09-14, 06:53:34 PM »
That graph you posted shows troposphere jet stream, the one I posted stratospheric polar jet vortex which when in this case goes hay wire sends the lower troposphere jet streams into chaos

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2019-09-15, 03:33:34 AM »
Could be, I don't know. I'm not very knowledgeable about the atmospheric layers, air pressures and the like. The image I posted came from earthnullschool but I don't know what the different graduations on that site actually mean. I just went to the site to see if I could find more about it and after tinkering I found an image that looked just like yours. On the menu it's Mode- Air, Height - 70 and Overlay - Wind. I don't know what 70hPa means though, does it correlate to a more common unit of measure or is something else?

Any way with those settings I found an image at the South that looked almost exactly like yours and tilting the earth north with the same settings it's want I found. Here is another screen shot, with the site's menu showing and the settings I had selected. This shot shows portions of both, quite a difference to be sure but I don't really know what that means either.

« Last Edit: 2019-09-15, 03:58:06 AM by reed »

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: 2019-09-15, 01:07:50 PM »
If you click on the 10hPa, that is the height of the ozone layer of about 30km above earth, its the ozone layer that is going through turbulent period because the sun has returned back to the southern pole. The height is measured in air pressure, 10hPa being the lightest. Dont know why they cant have' Height' in height numbers instead of air presure
« Last Edit: 2019-09-15, 01:10:49 PM by Richard Watson »

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: 2019-09-15, 01:19:03 PM »
I dont understand what the bottom line 'projections' means though

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2019-09-15, 07:22:55 PM »
I guess the projections are just different ways of displaying. I mostly use the site to watch CO and CO2 concentrations, guess I got a morbid fascination with it. CO is a good way to see fires, like the one in Alaska and those in Brazil right now. High CO is "normal" of course over places like New York, Los Angles, China and so on but when you see a dramatic one in a place like interior Alaska it ain't from folks commuting to the mall. I don't think there are any natural sources of CO other than volcanoes or fires. If ya zoom down on Kīlauea in Hawaii it is putting out a respectable amount but it can't hold a candle to the cities, let alone the fires. In most instances maybe all, where there's CO there is also CO2.

When I first found that site just a couple years ago it was pretty easy to still find spots with CO2 below 400 but it's a lot harder now. Even the Amazon or what's left of it, can't keep it below 400 anymore. Last winter while NH trees were dormant was first time I saw any spots over 500, they were small and fleeting. Bet that changes this year. 

« Last Edit: 2019-09-15, 07:24:50 PM by reed »

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: 2019-09-16, 12:58:44 AM »
Going by the amount of smoke over Borneo there would be high levels of CO2

« Last Edit: 2019-09-16, 01:01:37 AM by Richard Watson »

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2019-09-16, 04:30:42 AM »
Yep, looks like a couple of hot spots there, CO2 of 438 was the highest I saw seems to originate close to the southern coast with a coupe intense sources of CO. A really hot one west across the water near a place called Jambi. Doesn't look like a very big city so must be a fire, hard to tell in areas where I'm not familiar with the geography. with CO fires and cities look a lot alike except fires are generally more intense at the source and cities are more constant.

Concerning how it effects my garden and breeding projects for one thing I'v completely abandoned the idea of saving potato seeds, maybe even of growing potatoes. Peas also are far harder to grow that they used to be. It's gonna be hard selecting for things that can tolerate extremes of heat, cold, wet, dry perhaps alternating in the same season.

Sweet potatoes are becoming one the easiest things for me to grow and breed.  Even if cool wet spells in summer degrades seed production they still produce roots and since seed keeps for years it's easy to always keep a back up supply. Beans still do pretty good too, again easy to keep a good backup and many varieties produce good in many different conditions. This winter I'm gonna think on it all and come up with a core set of crops to focus on in coming seasons. Definitely gonna finally put some cow peas in dirt next year although I barely know what they are.
« Last Edit: 2019-09-16, 09:34:38 AM by reed »