Author Topic: How's your weather 2019  (Read 1865 times)

William S.

• View Profile
Re: How's your weather 2019
« Reply #15 on: 2019-07-04, 05:43:45 AM »
Got some nice rain. Garden soil is nicely moist again and just got my well controller fixed so haven't watered yet this year. Have been having a weird oscillation between hot and cold. Maxima and one moschata squash caught some June frost- noticed the damage about a week later. Tomatoes put on some serious growth this week.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian silty clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: 2019-07-15, 01:48:31 PM »
Halfway through winter and still no snow on the ground which is the fourth winter in a row, hasn't even rained much at all either.
Started my tomatoes yesterday, only Persimmon and Peron ive chosen for this growing season, though that is not counting the volunteer cherries that pop up around a propose built frame.
Changeable year round climate with warming winters - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps.

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2019-07-15, 03:03:59 PM »
After the almost 20 inches of rain in the first 21 days of June it turned hot here. End of June and all of July hovered in range of 32 - 34 C and no rain. Not an especially good gardening season.

Today was nice however, only about 29 and some clouds, even a few drops of rain and a little bit of thunder, not enough to measure but sure felt good. Fingers crossed we will get something more substantial when the current tropical depression, formerly hurricane Barry arrives.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: 2019-07-15, 03:31:17 PM »
After the almost 20 inches of rain in the first 21 days of June

We have only had half that this year
Changeable year round climate with warming winters - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2019-07-15, 07:05:49 PM »
It keeps raining here. The grass hasn't dried down like it usually does. No forest fires yet.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian silty clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

triffid

• South East England 50.8°N
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: 2019-07-24, 06:01:17 PM »
It's 1am and I'm sweltering here feeling amphibious with highs of 39C to look forward to later today. Thunderstorms forecast for the evening, thank goodness.

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2019-07-24, 08:20:20 PM »
We had a hot spell June 22 - July 19 without a drop of rain and temps every day in low 90s F. July 21 - 22 we got about 11 inches and it's been very pleasant since then. Didn't really need 11 inches at once but feel lucky as places nearby got none, others got more.

Ground was cracked pretty badly so even though it came in downpours a lot of it found it's way in and ground is in pretty good shape right now. It's very weird how these intense little storms drench one spot and leave others dry. 

Very glad that the fires are not so bad this year,  my sister near Denver can breath outside this year. Satellites show most of the big fires this year are way north in the Arctic, apparently a lot of peat deposits have dried out and are on fire.
« Last Edit: 2019-07-25, 04:04:39 AM by reed »

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: 2019-07-25, 12:07:59 AM »
Not good to hear about peat fires in the Arctic.

Winter has continued to so none winter like with no Antarctica cold blasts, this is far from normal.

alps.

Doro

• Värmland, Sweden
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2019-07-25, 06:38:10 AM »
After all the rain and thunderstorms and cool wet summer weather (even for Swedish summer) - we have suddenly entered a hot week. 30C with high humidity and no wind.
The plants are suffering from not having developed big root systems, the soil is still moist atm but they can't keep up with evaporation.
I'm also waiting for blight to rise out of nowhere anytime. Perfect blight and mold weather now.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: 2019-08-02, 12:54:57 AM »
There's a chance that Sunday might bring the first snow in four years. From always having some snowfalls in winter to having none for the last 4 years its felt odd not having it, having grass stay green all winter and still keep growing is odd also.
alps.

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 2019-08-02, 03:01:06 AM »
I'v though about how to  description  the weather, I suppose odd is as good as any. Normal sure doesn't apply, it hasn't been normal here in twenty years, probably more.  It also hasn't switched to something else consistent enough to be thought of as a new normal.  It just keeps getting more and more  freakish. We already went through snow disappearing from winters, that started gradually thirty years ago.

Some new things from past few years that amaze me is how much it can rain in a period of an hour or two, five, six inches or even more and it can do it in one spot and ten miles away not a drop.  And how fast it heats up and dries up when it's done. We've had thirty inches in June and July and right now dry as a bone. The so far brief but spooky -25 C snaps in winter are new too.

Very little of any industrialized crops are going to be harvested in Indiana this year. The big irrigation systems installed over last 10 - 20 years didn't help a bit cause all the big flat fields were swamps at planting time.  Yep, pretty odd.   

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2019-08-02, 06:58:25 PM »
Forest fires started. Heated up. Still geeenish. Direct seeded dry farmed tomato experiment seems fine but will be late.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: 2019-08-06, 01:36:13 PM »
At the point now where my tunnelhouse is warming nicely during the day so the tomato seedlings safely go out there permanently till plant out time early Nov.
Didnt even come close to snowing over the past weekend so its starting to look like this might be year #4 without snow 
alps.

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2019-08-09, 12:12:31 PM »
Still just hot and dry here. Can't go play in the creek, it dried up.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2019-08-09, 07:58:05 PM »
Supposed to catch a lot of rain this weekend. Intrigued.

Tomato project should be fine from here out afterward.