Author Topic: How's your weather 2019  (Read 1864 times)

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
  • Great Basin desert, Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
    • Email
How's your weather 2019
« on: 2019-06-11, 09:55:34 AM »

What's up with your weather? How is it affecting your crops and breeding projects?

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
  • Great Basin desert, Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
    • Email
Re: How's your weather 2019
« Reply #1 on: 2019-06-11, 10:09:36 AM »
I had frost on the mornings of June 9th, and 10th. That's about 2 weeks later than average. No worries, I had only set out commercial varieties of tomatoes. The plants from my Beautifully Promiscuous and Tasty Tomatoes are still in a heated greenhouse.

Some tomatoes got damaged, even covered, in my coldest field. They did fine covered in my warmest field. Here in the mountains, topography makes a huge difference in where frost settles. And frost can often be attributed to radiant-freeze from the night sky, rather than freezing from cold temperatures. For example, I figure that on a clear night the leaves of plants will freeze at 40 F.

I planted common and tepary beans for a cold/frost tolerance testing on May 5th. I was delighted that they finally received some frost damage. This is the third year of treating them that way, and I didn't plant a control, so I was wondering if they were frost tolerant, or if they just didn't get a frost. 

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-06-11, 12:39:04 PM »
Our spring started warm, well hot really and rather dry. Early planted things took off pretty good. I started digging the first patch of potatoes, just for immediate use a couple weeks ago. There were no frosts this year to help select the more tolerant volunteer tomatoes, they are blooming now but so are some of the transplanted ones.

Last couple weeks, especially starting last Wednesday unusually cool wet moved in. About 9 inches total rain with most of it in two downpours with pretty much steady drizzle in between. Weeds are pretty established all over but my crops are well ahead of them. First patch of corn although badly lodged in the first storm last week has recovered and is about waist high. Noticed first flowers on common beans last week. Harvested turnip and a few radish seeds this morning and pitched the old plants between the corn rows for mulch.

Dry breezes and sunshine today so getting a lot of weeding done before the next round of rain, scheduled to start tomorrow.

My sweet potatoes are doing fine but I am a little worried about getting my new ones from the grower in Iowa. Weeks of cool rain there prevented their parent roots from sprouting slips. Assuming they come along with better weather there I may not get them till July but that should still be workable. I saved my slip roots and they continue to pump them out so I won't have any empty spaces in any event. Continued cool wet or even intermittent bouts of it will be an issue for sweet potatoes, they don't like that at all even for seed production.

I realized my past strategy of selecting for drought tolerance is a mistake, it doesn't help with rapidly fluctuating anomalies or extremes.  My new strategy is fast maturity, allowing me to get some harvest during hospitable periods and multiple planting and harvests in more uniform seasons.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-11, 08:05:19 PM by reed »

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2019-06-11, 11:57:39 PM »
The 100 day frost free period has really become a 130-150 days period nowadays, getting corn to at least half dry on the plant before the first killer frost is so much easier. This is the first year where Ive managed to picked undamaged Granny Smith apples off the in winter, my tree use to lose the fruit in late March/ April 20 years ago, nothing nicer than a yellow skin ripe GS apple off the tree.

Most of our yearly rainfall falls in winter but rainfall so far this year is down on normal, had to dig a posts in a week or two back and found the clay that's at 30cm down still rock hard and dry, so more rain is needed but 10 day forecast shows little ( 4mm).

Snow, old folk from this area use to always say, ' it snows here 3-4 times every winter', and it did for the first 10 years here, but it hasn't snowed for 3 years now, will it do so this winter will be interesting?. Here in NZ we are seeing a rapidly changing climate which I put down to that we are surrounded by water, its known the oceans are warming faster than what was predicted and its certainly showing it. But i do have to say its made gardening much easier.   
Changeable year round climate with warming winters - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps.

Doro

• Värmland, Sweden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-06-12, 03:40:38 AM »
How is the weather?
My first instinct was to answer with 'crappy!' and just leave it at that :P it's been a disaster this year so far.

Honestly it's been so unpredictable and unreliable that my skills at finding the right time to sow and plant seem to get worse every year. The old rules don't work anymore and the generic 'standard weather year' seems to be a thing of the past.
Average temperature in May was colder than April, which was the first time since these things are recorded.

I already found mushrooms (Boletus edulis) in the woods that usually should come up towards the end of July with their peak in August. They are starting a good 6 weeks too early this year.

Last year was too dry and hot.
This year is cool and wet so far. Lost some plants to root rot in free draining sandy soil, which says a lot.

spacecase0

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2019-06-13, 10:13:53 AM »
I am in the middle of california at about 2000 foot elevation,
I got snow about 5 times,
it use to be snow happened here about every 10 years, last 3 years I get snow a few times each winter.
this year I got a spring that was more overcast and rainy than most of my winters are,
it went from daily high temps of 40F to 50F and so overcast or rainy that nothing grew to full summer temperatures and full sun in a single day.
it was bad enough that sugar peas can't grow here well at all, any spring grown cool weather thing went to seed before they grew at all
the summer garden is just fine as I have a long growing season, so I can loose a few months on the edges and just be fine,
but my winter garden no longer happens as conditions are just to harsh in winter.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2019-06-21, 10:54:46 PM »
Last few days have been warmer than normal while still being very dry too, still no rain looking ahead the next 10 days, high air pressure means there will be frosts during this period though.
Changeable year round climate with warming winters - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps.

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2019-06-22, 12:25:05 AM »
We have had cool temps and rain almost everyday this month. I haven't seen much in the way of mildew or the like so glad about that but nothing is growing like it should, just not enough sun.  Cincinnati OH to the east, reports about 7 inches for the month but my gauge measures to 5 inches and has been full and emptied three times. Yesterday was the first full day of sun this month with just a little rain after dark. I got a lot of weeding done and some mowing.

A lot of the big corn and bean fields north and west in the flat lands were never planted and much of what was either didn't come up or is turning yellow in the mud.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-22, 12:26:44 AM by reed »

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2019-06-24, 07:31:47 AM »
Another 1 and 1/2 inches in 1/2 hour little sprinkle last evening and possibility of another one today. Then supposedly a few days of mostly sun, will see I reckon.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2019-06-25, 02:07:17 PM »
We currently have the largest and strongest high air pressure cell on the planet sitting over us at the moment, meaning no winds, sunny and night time frosts (-2.8C this morning), due to move off to the east this weekend which will allow warmer sub tropical air to move down onto us.

alps.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2019-07-02, 01:50:55 PM »
A northerly wind flow from the tropics has delivered some incredibly warm overnight temps for the middle of winter,18.2C or 64.7F at 6.00am   
alps.

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2019-07-02, 02:40:50 PM »
Currently 96F on my thermometer, about 35.5C I reckon, and very dry. I started marking the calendar every day over 90F or  32.2 C. I don't know why but 90 seems a threshold for me as far as going out to work, actually anything over 85 depending on humidity can send me to the shade.  I work from dawn till about 11 AM spray off with the garden hose and don't go back till the sun falls below the trees in the west. I'v though about getting one of those little flashlights you wear on your head so I don't have to wait for daylight.

I don't know if my thermometer is accurate or not, how would a person know that? It's very old, in a heavy brass case. I remember when I bought it at the LL Bean store in Maine I did so partly cause all they had on the same shelf, in the same spot read the same so I figured they had to be pretty good or they would vary, like most others I'v seen do. Still it is always off from the "official" readings on the TV which come either from Louisville KY or Cincinnati OH. They will often say for example the high was 88 or the low was 5 when respectively mine said 92 or -1. Don't seem possible if mine was inaccurate that it could be so in both directions. Plus both of those places are miles away. Mine is against a concrete wall under a porch so the sun never hits it, if it was wrong I would guess it would be on the lows not the highs. O'well I don't really care, it says 96 and it's hot and I like my old fancy brass thermometer so I as far as I'm concerned it is the authority.

I got invited by a university to participate in an on-line project to map location specific temp and precipitation for my state. Just have to log in everyday and report for my spot.  I went to the presentation but lost interest during the introductory explanation of the difference between weather and climate. Also it sounded like a lot of trouble logging into a web site everyday, I was afraid it might interfere with my afternoon naps.

« Last Edit: 2019-07-02, 02:42:47 PM by reed »

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: 2019-07-03, 01:42:38 AM »
Even in the shade thermometers need to be in screens, I remember when I had want I thought was accurate place south side of a post, 1.25m above ground, never had sun on it even during the longest day, built a screen to house and boy want a difference in recording, 2-3 degC drop in max temp.

A lot of snow disappeared off the mountains today due to warm winds, they had very little snow anyway, I can see some of NZ ski fields will go broke in the coming years, its half way through winter nearly yet most are still closed due to no snow. 
alps.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: 2019-07-03, 01:44:38 AM »
Even in the shade thermometers need to be in screens, I remember when I had one what I thought was in a accurate place south side of a post in a windy place, 1.25m above ground, never had sun on it even during the longest day, built a screen to house it and boy want a difference in recording, 2-3 degC drop in max temp.

A lot of snow disappeared off the mountains today due to warm winds, they had very little snow anyway, I can see some of NZ ski fields will go broke in the coming years, its half way through winter nearly yet most are still closed due to no snow. 
alps.

Doro

• Värmland, Sweden
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2019-07-04, 04:07:06 AM »
We had a low of 3°C tonight, now it's almost lunchtime and it's 11°C. With drizzling rain, just interrupted by heavy rain.
Next week looks slightly warmer and less wet, but still cold for July (8°-16°C).
Ah well, the joy of Swedish summer ;) just saw tourists in winter jackets with hats and mittens at the gas pump, while the neighbours kids walked around in shorts and t-shirts to buy ice cream hahaha.
Anyhow, I'm guessing that the greenhouse will not produce a ripe tomato before August and I might have to build a roof for the TPS seedlings, they are drowning. Lost about 25% to root rot by now.