Author Topic: anyone know/ work with Mike Jennings / Diablo Valley Farm?  (Read 714 times)

BeerTooth

• View Profile
I was looking for diverse sources of landrace seeds in small quantities and came across this Etsy store:

www.etsy.com/shop/DiabloValleyFarm?ref=l2-about-shopname

He has some impressive photos of his different offerings. I'm surprised that I can't find any more info about his farm online.  Of course, not everyone is on internet plant-breeding message boards, I guess!

William S.

• View Profile
Re: anyone know/ work with Mike Jennings / Diablo Valley Farm?
« Reply #1 on: 2019-06-06, 05:58:29 PM »
That's really cool. Mike is on here and on Homegrown Goodness. Been talking to him here and there for close to three years. Will have to check out his store.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian silty clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Mike Jennings

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-06-12, 09:04:52 PM »
I was looking for diverse sources of landrace seeds in small quantities and came across this Etsy store:

He has some impressive photos of his different offerings. I'm surprised that I can't find any more info about his farm online.  Of course, not everyone is on internet plant-breeding message boards, I guess!

Yeah, that’s me. My “farm” is not really much of a farm. I do most of my breeding in my 1/3 acre suburban yard, and I do larger grow-outs on borrowed fields in the area, as well as at the ranch where I work managing orchards and breeding tree crops.

I have been collecting diverse food crop germplasm for quite a few years — especially after I discovered the kindred spirits on the HG forum and started trading seeds with other landrace plant breeders. I grow most of my crops landrace style and try to keep as much diversity as possible, as long as they also meet my flavor and culinary requirements.

Most of my offerings I would consider diverse breeding material. I call it a “grex” if it is in an early breeding stage and still needs some selection to refine the culinary qualities of the crop. I call it a “landrace” if it gives reliably high quality produce. So far, these tend to be outbreeding species, since they quickly crossed with each other and allowed me to start selecting. I have also been making crosses within some inbreeding species for the past few years, so I will eventually have selections of those as well.

Hopefully I can pledge some varieties to OSSI soon.

I have also recently started working with polyploid crops, such as potatoes and sweet potatoes, so I should have some seeds of those soon, and maybe some tree crop seeds too.

My Etsy shop hasn’t really made me much income, but it has enabled me to get seeds out to people who are looking for diversity. Besides collecting and sharing germplasm, my main purpose in farming is to grow food for my family.

I am slowly working on a website and blog, so that will have more info about my plant breeding, once it’s ready.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions here in the mean time.

Woody Gardener

• NW Arkansas, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2020-04-22, 02:56:25 PM »

Hello Mike!

I bought several packs of Landrace Okra from you many months ago. I'm ready to plant them soon along with Kandahar Pendi Landrace Okra and my long time favorite Burmese to develop my own locally adapted, genetically diverse okra.

I went looking for that great picture of your okra and, funny thing, somehow or another I ended up here.  Thanks for the seeds and I'll post back here in a few months with my own pictures.