Author Topic: Peas 2019  (Read 2198 times)

Diane Whitehead

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Peas 2019
« Reply #30 on: 2019-06-28, 02:28:33 PM »
I will be sowing my next batch of peas tomorrow, and will sow again in early August.

The late peas are ones bred at Oregon State University to be resistant to enation mosaic virus and powdery mildew -
Oregon Giant Sugar and Oregon Sugar Pod II.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

triffid

• South East England 50.8°N
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: 2019-06-28, 04:22:54 PM »
I'm also continuing to sow peas late into the season. Try the coolest part of your garden and give them a bit more care and attention than you would with earlier sowings. For seed increase they should crop adequately.

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: 2019-06-28, 06:12:57 PM »
Here's a picture of midnight snow, my best tasting purple snow pea. Bred originally by Dan Quickert of California. this is one I really want to share with a lot of people.

And here's a photo of my version of dwarf grey sugar pods.

I usually only get 1 crop of peas a year. Fall planted might work if I planted as early as possible when the others were done setting mature seed,  but I have yet to be successful at it.

B. Copping

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2019-06-29, 10:53:06 AM »
Flowers!

Andrew Barney: the DGS you sent me opened its first flower yesterday, and are almost at hip height.
They are a bit taller than ‘my’ DGS, but they have a slightly better spot in the garden.

Rogue flowers in the ‘Blue Podded’, some white with a lovely pink blush.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-29, 12:09:33 PM by B. Copping »

B. Copping

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2019-06-29, 11:31:08 AM »
I recently received a new pea variety. So my question is: is it too late for sowing it? I am interested in multiplying seed material not in a decent harvest for table. And of course I am eager to see it.
I suspect peas to be susceptible to mildew when sown late in the season. Any advice?

Your profile doesn’t give your location...

For myself, summer sown peas do less well, but still give a seed increase.
If the pods set before it gets too hot, you should be fine.
Otherwise, you’ll just get fewer seeds in each pod. :)

I noticed this spring that the seeds from DGS that I planted later than ‘normal’ in 2017, were *very* slow to absorb water when I soaked them prior to planting.
May be an isolated incident, but I had seeds of that variety from multiple years and two sources, and they were the only ones acting different.

When does mildew normally become a problem for you?

I’m still have more peas to plant this year. Some of this is due to time restrictions, and some is for isolation from other varieties.

B. Copping

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2019-06-29, 12:02:26 PM »
One of those times when you go YIKES in the garden...
And then realze that you are looking down the bore of an umbellatum variety, not ‘Audrey’.
« Last Edit: 2019-07-05, 09:56:26 PM by B. Copping »

triffid

• South East England 50.8°N
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: 2019-06-29, 01:40:26 PM »
Pulled up Lord Leicester and some dry Fruher Heinrich vines today. Bijou and Kent Blue are also finishing up.

That Blue-podded rogue is very pretty. I'm working on pink flowered peas. Please keep us updated :)

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: 2019-06-29, 01:59:07 PM »
Flowers!

Andrew Barney: the DGS you sent me opened its first flower yesterday, and are almost at hip height.
They are a bit taller than ‘my’ DGS, but they have a slightly better spot in the garden.

Rogue flowers in the ‘Blue Podded’, some white with a lovely pink blush.

I noticed in my batch of dwarf grey a few yellow podded may have gotten mixed in, so if you find some yellows its just from seed mix up.

galina

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2019-07-01, 12:01:09 AM »
I have managed two seasons in one year.  Yes with a lot of mildew, but enough for seed saving and the heavily mildewed pea seeds harvested late led to normal plants the following year.   Have a look at these ugly pods (5. Oct 14), you would not want to eat them, but fine for seed.

https://www.growingfoodsavingseeds.co.uk/forum/main-forum/peas/1103-court-estate-gold-x-amish-snap
« Last Edit: 2019-07-01, 12:04:19 AM by galina »
Central England, cool, maritime (ish), cloudy, often dry, but recent weather unpredictable

B. Copping

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2019-07-01, 09:22:10 AM »
More rogues in the ‘Blue Podded’.
Two pods/node, purple flowers, but green pods.

The plants with white flowers with a pink blush also have green pods.
The leaf axils are purple...so I’m beginning to wonder if these plant have the am-1 gene.

The rogues are the same height, and have leaves that are the same shade of paler than “normal” leaves, so I’m inclined to think this isn’t a case where the seed vendor has mixed a bunch of pole varieties together.

But I like rogues, so I’m doin’ a happy dance at the moment.

Next: chicken wire, because the marmots have returned to the garden, and ate five ‘Lincoln’ plants (among others).

B. Copping

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2019-07-01, 09:39:29 AM »
I have managed two seasons in one year.  Yes with a lot of mildew, but enough for seed saving and the heavily mildewed pea seeds harvested late led to normal plants the following year.   Have a look at these ugly pods (5. Oct 14), you would not want to eat them, but fine for seed.

https://www.growingfoodsavingseeds.co.uk/forum/main-forum/peas/1103-court-estate-gold-x-amish-snap

You can see my ugly, small late season pods from 2018 ‘Golden Sweet’ in the top of the first photo here.
Groundhogs mowed the plants down three times, so I had to replant...
Yes, the black/grey crap on the pod exterior is from mildew.

http://opensourceplantbreeding.org/forum/index.php?topic=129.msg1365#msg1365

ImGrimmer

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2019-07-01, 04:55:56 PM »
thanks for your answers. I am in northern Germany. Some years ago I tried to grow peas in the 2nd half of the season it gave no food only mildew. My intention then was a crop for food. For seeds I am fine with mildew. Didn`t know that doesn`t affect the seeds.

B. Copping

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2019-07-04, 08:25:05 PM »

That Blue-podded rogue is very pretty. I'm working on pink flowered peas. Please keep us updated :)

Things get weirder.
I noticed today that the “purple” in the leaf axils is actually reddish.
Now I’m wondering if b and am-1 are at work.
Of course, if there is a simpler answer...please enlighten me. :)

galina

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2019-07-04, 11:18:17 PM »
I am afraid the "simple answer" comes next year when you grow them again and compare what you get with what you have this year.  The pale pink flower is very pretty. 
Central England, cool, maritime (ish), cloudy, often dry, but recent weather unpredictable

B. Copping

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2019-07-05, 09:52:49 PM »
Purple vs. Red