Author Topic: Peas 2019  (Read 2195 times)

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Peas 2019
« on: 2019-06-02, 12:56:59 AM »
Fantastic year for peas this year! With all the rain I haven't had to really irrigate at all! Today first flowers have appeared. First on some in my elbow podded yellow podded row on a plant that appears to maybe have green (snap?) Pods. Perhaps a cross from last year? It has bicolor purple flowers.

Second that I noticed has flowered is 'Early Flowering' or 'Extra Early'. Can't remember what name it had,  but it does seem to have early flowers. Seems kinda short,  but not sure if it's a dwarf or not.

I didn't plant orange pod or mighty midget this year,  but I would expect them to have flowered by today as well.

Red podded should be soon to flower based on last year i expect as it was very early to flower as well. I guess we will see.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-07, 08:43:49 AM by Andrew Barney »

galina

• View Profile
Re: Peas 2019
« Reply #1 on: 2019-06-05, 02:28:49 PM »
Not sure what elbow podded row means Andrew, but glad you are seeing flowers on your peas. 

Here we are into harvesting peas, but I do start early and transplant. 

A red podded sheller is looking pretty. 
Central England, cool, maritime (ish), cloudy, often dry, but recent weather unpredictable

triffid

• South East England 50.8°N
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2019-06-06, 07:24:06 AM »
Lovely red pod galina!

I planted a seed of 'Shiraz' with a particularly dark-purple testa. It's otherwise identical, except it has green rather than purple pods.

Cracked open a fat pod of 'Panthers' yesterday and had a taste. Delicious! The peas were large yet as sweet as apples.

I'm also intrigued by the obscure 'elbow-podded' variety.

B. Copping

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-06-06, 09:34:23 PM »
Purple Podded Parsley.

B. Copping

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-06-06, 10:07:57 PM »
Left to right: Lincoln/Homesteader and Blue Podded (Blauwschokker; Cosse violette).

I find the difference in foliage colour interesting.

Doro

• Värmland, Sweden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2019-06-08, 03:07:25 AM »
For seed increase I had started some varieties early in pots in the greenhouse. The first variety is starting to flower now.
It is called Sollerön, which is the name of an island in lake Siljan, Sweden.
Large plants and flowers, definitely needs a tall trellis.
The bumblebees love it, counted 5 at the same time working the flowers of just one planter. This variety seems to have higher risk/chance of crosspollinating than my other varieties which are not visited by insects that much.

Ferdzy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2019-06-08, 07:31:24 AM »
Wow, what beautiful flowers! I thought they were Sweet Peas (the flower) at first glance.

Doro

• Värmland, Sweden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2019-06-08, 01:54:59 PM »
Thank you! You are not the only one who thought 'Sweet peas? No wait!' :) I have parked them at work for the moment and a lot of people wonder about them.

triffid

• South East England 50.8°N
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2019-06-15, 08:21:44 AM »
Those are beautiful blossoms, Doro! Interesting how the wings seem to splay around the keel as the flower ages.

Are the bees landing on the flower 'properly' or nectar robbing?

I've been drooling over some heritage varieties in the NordGen accessions, and wonder, is this the same variety? https://sesto.nordgen.org/sesto/index.php?scp=ngb&thm=sesto&lev=acc&rec=45658

Doro

• Värmland, Sweden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2019-06-15, 10:34:59 AM »
They land properly and work on the flower for quite a while. It is interesting to watch them. Some seem to know how to get straight to the food and others walk around on the flower for a while trying to find the food. Sometimes two fight over the same flower.

Yes that's the Solleröärt, it should be the same variety that I'm growing. But I got it through the seedswap of the Swedish seedsavers not from NordGen. Since most of the old varieties are not quite uniform mine might be slightly different. I would not be surprised.

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2019-06-16, 06:41:43 AM »
Got some nice pods going this week. Seems like some of the colors are washed out, so that usually means heat is getting to them.

I will say that I really like the look of triple treat. At first I was confused because it looked like an Umbel / Crown type pea. It really does have 3 or more flowers per node. Worth investigating with more.

Got a nice yellow snap pea. Flavor was less sugary than a snap pea needs to be however. But shape and size is way better than opal creek.

A bit disappointed with the reds this year. Oh well. Could be the heat, but not sure.

Off topic,  but if anyone in Sweden knows of a good grey pea for soup I'd be interested.  I tried cooking Biskopens Graert like pinto beans, inspired by Sorens recipe on his blog, by mine did not make their own gravy. So either the wrong type or not cooked long enough. They were like hard little rocks.

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2019-06-16, 07:46:50 AM »
I was just out looking at my peas. I had decided to drop them from my garden but had a bunch of seed that I just pitched out on the ground back before I planted corn and tomatoes. A lot of vines survived my planting those other crops and are producing pretty well right now. I have one with white flowers and green pods which are nicely sweet but only when quite small. One with yellow pods but they are not filling out, nothing much at all inside the pods.

One has dark purple pods and pretty purplish flowers, these are sweet and crunchy even when all the way mature. There is a couple kinds of them, one that stays purple and one that fades to mottled green/purple as they grow. That last one isn't as sweet. Happily, the most purple one is also the most prominent so even though I munch on them almost daily I'v got plenty almost ready to harvest for seed.

O'yea, one other kind which I guess is what's called hyper-tendril but they have made almost no pods at all.

Pretty sure the yummy purple ones came from Ferdsy in a trade a a few seasons ago.

Ferdzy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2019-06-16, 09:03:31 AM »
Yes, @reed that sounds like Sugar Magnolia, which I have and may very well have sent to you. Sugar Magnolia has both the hyper-tendril trait (tho not always) and the purple pods.

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2019-06-16, 09:41:52 AM »
Yes, @reed that sounds like Sugar Magnolia, which I have and may very well have sent to you. Sugar Magnolia has both the hyper-tendril trait (tho not always) and the purple pods.

Humm, Hard to tell what's going on for sure, lots of plats intermingled, plus lots of tomatoes and corn plus lots of weeds due to lots of rain and not being able to tend the gardens much.  I'll have to look closer, maybe those hyper tendrils and the purple pods are are on the same plants.

I was dropping peas cause it usually gets so hot and dry they don't make anything but this year they are some of the happiest plants out there and the purple ones are sooo good. Think I'll keep them around.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-16, 09:50:06 AM by reed »

Doro

• Värmland, Sweden
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2019-06-16, 11:25:39 AM »
Speaking of hypertendril, has anyone tried eating them? Are they actually good or more in the category of plate decoration at fancy restaurants? I have not grown hypertendril peas yet, but was trying the tendrils of regular peas because I was curious... about the same texture as steelwool scrubbing pads lol are the actual hypertendril pea tendrils any softer?

@Andrew The only possibly suitable grey pea variety that comes to my mind right now is Pelusk från Dalarna. It's fairly low tannin for a grey pea and has perfectly round seed (high starch). Most grey peas are dimpled ones for fresh use or high tannin ones for flour making, garden peas are more commonly used for soup from dried peas.