Author Topic: Tomato Pan Genome is out  (Read 56 times)

William S.

• View Profile
Tomato Pan Genome is out
« on: 2019-05-16, 06:15:05 AM »
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/05/190513112235.htm

New 5000ish genes mapped from the wild relatives.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
Re: Tomato Pan Genome is out
« Reply #1 on: 2019-05-16, 04:02:41 PM »
I heard that on the news but hadn't seen the article. Very interesting the part about the TomLoxC gene, how it influences flavor and is present in only 2% of heirlooms but in 93% of Solanum pimpinellifolium. Perhaps that explains why most all the different segregates of my accidental Solanum pimpinellifolium x who knows are most all so tasty. I say most all because one kind of pear shaped yellow is pure awful.

Also interesting how reference to Solanum pimpinellifolium just keeps showing up in all kinds of places. It tastes good, it's more disease tolerant than most and it's a weed in my garden. Sweet! :D
Now to see if I can manage purposeful crosses with it and get some with bigger fruits. 

PaulJ

• View Profile
Re: Tomato Pan Genome is out
« Reply #2 on: 2019-05-16, 04:59:24 PM »
It is my opinion that Marmande is one of the tomatoes that has this gene and is the reason I got into heirlooms in the first place
Trust me, there is some really tasty gems hidden in that variety, I am growing 4 this year and only wish I could grow more
I may be wrong on the gene but not the flavour : )

Wish me luck hunting for gems.