Author Topic: Let's build the best plant breeding forum on the Internet.  (Read 824 times)

Diane Whitehead

• View Profile
Re: Let's build the best plant breeding forum on the Internet.
« Reply #60 on: 2018-10-16, 07:45:17 PM »
I hope it will have a very good Search capability.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
  • Great Basin desert, Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
« Reply #61 on: 2018-10-16, 08:18:12 PM »
I hope it will have a very good Search capability.

I hope so too. One of the motivating reasons for the existence of this forum, is that things posted to social media sites tend to disappear after a few days, never to be found again.

With a good search feature, it might be less important to have specific categories. For example: Tomatoes, Sweet Potatoes.

A different forum that I moderate has a policy that a category can be added once there are 40 posts about that topic that could be added to the new category.
« Last Edit: 2018-10-16, 08:39:05 PM by Joseph Lofthouse »

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2018-10-24, 02:06:51 PM »
I'm on board for letting the categories break out as needed.  I think the problem with the categories on HG were more that they were set up kind of "quick and dirty" when Alan created the board, and then were never changed at all AFAIK.  I would love separate Potato and Tomato boards.  I avoid tomato discussions anymore and would love them to exist in a bucket that I never have to look into.

Although I will undoubtedly adapt to whatever structure is chosen, I think I would organize by crop, rather than by family and I would leave everything in a broad grouping until it seems like it would be beneficial to break it out.  So, I can imagine that we might immediately want boards for Tomatoes and Potatoes under plant breeding.  I wouldn't make it a Solanaceae board because the family is just too big to be a useful grouping.  I wouldn't even want a Solanum board - still too big.

I would support these ideas.

equant

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2018-10-29, 10:52:10 AM »
I'd like to see people's locations on the right side of a post (under their names/info etc).  Assuming it reflects their growing conditions, it's useful and can put the information they share into better context.

bill

• Administrator
  • USA, WA Coast
    • View Profile
    • Cultivariable
« Reply #64 on: 2018-10-29, 01:21:13 PM »
equant, if you look in your profile, there is a section called "Personal Text."  If you enter your location there, it will appear under your user name.

This is not to be confused with the Location section, which is not currently shown anywhere.

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2018-10-30, 09:07:34 AM »
I'd like to see a category for Landrace and Grex building. I started to start a topic "What Landrace / Grex projects are you working on? " under plant breeding but thought I'd pop over here instead to see what others think.

I think of breeding as being more controlled and specific, moving a crop to a particular outcome, like I'm trying to do with my corn but most of my projects are much more hands off. Just planting as much as I can and letting the seeds and climate do much of the selection on their own. 

Anyway, whether it is under the existing breeding section or has a new one of it's own I really like reading about and seeing pictures of what others are doing in this area.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2018-10-30, 09:30:58 AM »
I'd like to see a category for Landrace and Grex building. I started to start a topic "What Landrace / Grex projects are you working on? " under plant breeding but thought I'd pop over here instead to see what others think.

I think of breeding as being more controlled and specific, moving a crop to a particular outcome, like I'm trying to do with my corn but most of my projects are much more hands off. Just planting as much as I can and letting the seeds and climate do much of the selection on their own. 

Anyway, whether it is under the existing breeding section or has a new one of it's own I really like reading about and seeing pictures of what others are doing in this area.

I think that would be a fine section to create.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A

Nicholas Locke

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2018-10-30, 03:06:03 PM »

I second that....
"Maybe" said the farmer...