Author Topic: Let's build the best plant breeding forum on the Internet.  (Read 952 times)

PhilaGardener

• View Profile
Re: Let's build the best plant breeding forum on the Internet.
« Reply #15 on: 2018-10-10, 06:42:14 PM »
Thanks for opening the registration process!  Sounds like great ideas are germinating here!
Growing near Philadelphia, PA, USA

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2018-10-10, 09:05:47 PM »
800 x 600 sounds fine, that's actually what i was defaulting to when using flickr as it's big enough to see detail but still somewhat small file size.

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
  • Great Basin desert, Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
« Reply #17 on: 2018-10-10, 09:10:57 PM »
Ocium: Thanks for the insight... I reduced the member categorization to two categories: "Newbie" and "Full Member". I set the count post for full member at a low enough threshold that it can be easily achieved, but high enough that we might can use some automated tools to catch spammers.

I'm still stewing over the Karma thing. I'm thinking it might be useful as a method of a catching spammers... Accounts with lots of negative karma not able to post any more.... Still exploring that.

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
« Reply #18 on: 2018-10-10, 09:27:13 PM »
Hi, thanks for creating this
when I search forums, I usually go to "recent topics" every few days when looking into forums. The forums that do not have this are a pain to search, as I would have to click each category after another.

Yup. Recent posts is installed: http://opensourceplantbreeding.org/forum/index.php?action=recent

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
« Reply #19 on: 2018-10-10, 09:37:19 PM »
I like the applause feature because sometimes I want to acknowledge a post even though I have nothing to add.  I'm not so sure about the smite feature.

I do recognize that forum popularity contests can be annoying though.  One possibility might be to keep the applause feature but to not show the counts.  Then people will get the benefit of the applause without the temptation to throw their weight around.

I changed the Karma feature to only display the net count, and Karma can't go below zero...  If a user receives negative karma, only the admins will know about it.
« Last Edit: 2018-10-10, 09:53:31 PM by Joseph Lofthouse »

rowan

• Southern Victoria, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Garden Larder
« Reply #20 on: 2018-10-10, 11:11:22 PM »
I would like to see a category for showing off ongoing projects and also for newly released varieties.
--------------------------------
Garden Larder:  www.gardenlarder.com.au

Gbatt

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2018-10-10, 11:36:20 PM »
Just threw in here and mostly want to learn more from you experienced people. That said Perhaps for an intro I'll show the current progress of a collaboration with Mr. David Wolfgram. This is f3 generation of a jarrahdale crossing with marina Di chioggia thus, Marina Di Jarrahdale.
« Last Edit: 2018-10-10, 11:44:10 PM by Gbatt »

S.Simonsen

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2018-10-10, 11:59:25 PM »
Thanks to everyone involved in getting this forum off the ground- really looking forward to participating. Are you planning on structuring the forum around individual species to keep focus? You could maybe separate the general discussion from those looking to exchange material as well. For species that are difficult to import across international borders local subgroups could be useful to facilitate exchange of material.

PhilaGardener

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2018-10-11, 04:15:30 AM »
Thanks for the recent posts link.  That is really handy!

Has thought been given to pre-building out the structure of this site in a logical way, for example having areas for different groups of plants to start orienting things, or is the plan to let threads happen and then have mod reorganize at a later point?
Growing near Philadelphia, PA, USA

Ferdzy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2018-10-11, 07:32:27 AM »
Hello, just checking in. Glad to join this site.

I concur with those who suggest not having too many categories - recent activity is how I follow Homegrown Goodness and I think it is the easiest and most efficient way - the actual category is less important.

Okay, I am being dragged off to harvest the sweet potatoes...

Mike Jennings

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 2018-10-11, 09:05:00 AM »
Hey, this is exciting! Looking forward to seeing how this forum shapes up. It would be cool if we could encourage more of the OSSI breeders to post here occasionally.

https://osseeds.org/people/

Mike Jennings

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2018-10-11, 09:25:51 AM »
One more... Is 800 pixels too wide?

800x600 looks fine on my laptop, but it is too wide to see the whole image on my phone. I have to scroll side to side to see it all. Not really a big deal.

I tend to do most of my forum reading on my mobile phone. Would it be possible to have a "mobile version" of this site?

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
« Reply #27 on: 2018-10-11, 09:36:16 AM »

Mike: Yes, there are mobile themes for this forum. I would have hoped that the default theme (Curve) auto-adjusted to mobile devices. If not, lets find an auto-adjusting, responsive, theme and make it the default.  I bet that half of page views will be on mobile devices, so it should be easy for them.

Two themes were installed by default (Curve, Core). They can be selected from the profile: http://opensourceplantbreeding.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=theme;u=2  Does the other Core theme work better with mobile devices?

Lauren

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2018-10-11, 10:28:02 AM »
Possible categories: Landrace, Open Source, Open Pollinated, Seed Saving, Heirloom, New Varieties.

Also, no downgrade (except to report a problem) since people tend to use that to "silence" those they don't agree with.

Mike Jennings

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2018-10-11, 10:33:48 AM »
Mike: Yes, there are mobile themes for this forum. I would have hoped that the default theme (Curve) auto-adjusted to mobile devices. If not, lets find an auto-adjusting, responsive, theme and make it the default.  I bet that half of page views will be on mobile devices, so it should be easy for them.

Two themes were installed by default (Curve, Core). They can be selected from the profile: http://opensourceplantbreeding.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=theme;u=2  Does the other Core theme work better with mobile devices?

I tried the Core theme and it may be a tiny bit better for mobile, but still not ideal. Of course, Iím comparing it to the pro boards mobile version where the text is larger and fills the whole screen.
« Last Edit: 2018-10-13, 10:31:33 AM by Mike Jennings »